ATT says use old iphone as ipod touch, but how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Jul 8, 2008.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

ATT said we can use the old iphone as an ipod touch..but when you clear everything, it still asks you to activate, how can someone activate without an account? wouldn't this prevent it from being used as a touch?

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Maybe iTunes 7.7 will provide the answer.

3. touchyphone macrumors regular

Just take the sim card out, that should makei t act as a touch! Simple no? I mean I take my sim out, and i still have full features outside edge and phone use, and my lady friend stopped her iPhone service, and still has the capabilities to use it as a touch, now that she has a blackberry again.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

iLiberty+
    download that and unlock it
    then you can use it without activating

5. brinycbri thread starter macrumors 6502a

whenever you update firmware it asks you to activate again, also whenever you reinstall the software which happens sometime...

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

That sounds pretty spot on to me.

I can't imagine that AT&T wouldn't claim you can use it as a Touch unless there was a "legitimate" way to do so.

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

ofcourse they would be a legitimate way... itunes 7.7 will provide a special option probably.... or maybe they will enable something in ur itunes store account to activate iPhone..

8. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

ive been waiting for an answer for this as well. ive heard reports of people saying it works perfectly fine after, others saying that it only works after doing some kind of swap with their sim cards, and others just saying iTunes keeps asking for them to activate their already-deactivated iPhone.
    anyone have a foolproof method they can share? any help is appreciated