ATT service question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SouthernMac, Jun 30, 2008.

1. SouthernMac macrumors member

My girlfriend gets a 30% discount on her ATT bill through her employer (I don't know who pick up this 30%, ATT or the employer), but is this applicable to the iPhone bill too? I know she can't use it on the phone itself, but I just mean the service. Sorry if this is beating a dead horse.

2. bamaworks macrumors 6502

If I recall correctly it isn't applicable to the iPhone. But to be on the safe side, I'd contact AT&T directly.

3. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

My company gets a 14% discount with AT&T and it works on my iPhone...

4. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Currently, No. The 2G iPhone because of the revenue sharing agreement AT&T has with Apple does not permit discounts.

Word is, the new data plan will permit it. I guess we will have to see on the 11th.

5. aosman macrumors 6502

Definitely worth looking into. Since the 3G offering is a more conventional one (comparatively speaking) the discount might be applicable. Keep us posted

6. ski2moro macrumors 6502

When I contacted AT&T last week, the Rep told me that no corporate discounts apply to the new iphone.

She said that if the iphone were the secondary line on the family plan, I could still get the corporate discount by

1. changing the current secondary line to the primary on the account.
    2. adding the iphone 3G as the family share $9.99 line.
    3. The full data plan is required for the iphone and that will not be discounted.

So she switched the accounts over the phone and I'm ready for 3G.

By the way, she said that it's $199/$299 for everyone who has an account in good standing, regardless of eligibility for an upgraded phone.

7. SouthernMac thread starter macrumors member

Some good thoughts. I'm going to look into it for her. It may be the deal breaker for both of us. To the person who already gets the discount, I wonder who subsidizes the discount AT&T, your company, or an agreement between both?

8. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I know most of the reps usually have no idea what they are talking about, but the increased number of people saying everybody is eligible has me thinking it may be true. The majority of the people on this site who have talked to att have received that answer. With that I wish all who are not eligible for a subsidized upgrade, good luck on getting an iphone for 199/299. It could happen.

9. And5555 macrumors member

Note: Trust 20% of AT&T representatives to know any upcoming news. They probably don't know. Example: I walked into an AT&T store last week and asked the same question. His response was "No corporate discounts will apply." At this point (due to conflicting rumors), I pressured, "Really? Are you sure about that? Where did you get your information? Did a manager tell you?" His brilliant response: "The current iPhone doesn't have discounts, so the next one won't either."

The truth is, we don't know yet, but here is a supposed "leaked" AT&T memo to store managers suggesting that discounts will apply (since the iPhone is now under the standard model - no revenue sharing, $30 plan, etc): http://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-to-retail-managers-shows-iphone-3g-policy

Please, if anyone knows any information to the validity of this memo, let me know.

10. SouthernMac thread starter macrumors member

Just to try and find out a definite answer, I'll ask again now that the phone has come out. Do employer discounts work with the iPhone?