Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Went to AT&T Store to have iPhone 4 shipped there. They told me three things:

- Already says in System that there is 3-4 Week Back-Order on Black iPhone 4
- Can only be shipped to your house (unless of customer swap)
- Can only take credit cards (nothing with "debit" on it)

:eek:

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Yikes that was fast!!!!!!

Apple will hold some for in-store launch without reservation just for excitement, if nothing else.

That said, this looks like an incredibly fast sellout situation.

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
With this whole pre order mess... I cant see them selling out of them that fast.

I mean its not even 8Am on the west coast.

danielsmu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Went to AT&T Store to have iPhone 4 shipped there. They told me three things:

- Can only be shipped to your house (unless of customer swap)
- Can only take credit cards (nothing with "debit" on it)

:eek:

I think you misheard them. 3-4 weeks is the current estimated time it will take for the AT&T eligibility wheel to stop spinning.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
They would rather you come in person on launch day so they can make commission. Don't believe anything anyone in a retail store tells you.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Never believe ANYTHING you hear from an AT&T retail location.

heh, I just went back to the ATT online store. Looks like they're down (as of about 0945 EST). Sometimes even when you get ready, you ain't ready ;)

edit: On top of that, now they will have us who got orders in hitting the "Order Status" link incesantly. That's gotta hurt too hehe

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
My AT&T store was fine. Me and another women got there at about 8:50am, opened 10 mins later, went through the upgrade process no problem (wanted the black one anyways).

Only 3 more people came in behind us.

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
My AT&T store was fine. Me and another women got there at about 8:50am, opened 10 mins later, went through the upgrade process no problem (wanted the black one anyways).

Only 3 more people came in behind us.

You lucky. I'm still in the preorder line @ At&t. There's 30 ppl in front of me

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
You lucky. I'm still in the preorder line @ At&t. There's 30 ppl in front of me
Damn, man. Best of luck. I wasn't surprised, since almost everytime I go to the one near me is usually empty (today was the most people in at once that I ever saw, which was about like 7). Thats not to say it will get backed up later on.

I was thinking about camping due to that fact, but why camp when I can have it shipped to my house on the same day?

Once again, bro, best of luck.

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Just went to the ATT store accross the street, their systems have completly crashed. They can't take any preorders until they come back online. Suppose to call me back. Weeeeeeee.......

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
I think you misheard them. 3-4 weeks is the current estimated time it will take for the AT&T eligibility wheel to stop spinning.

She told me 3-4 Weeks in addition to the June 24th Launch.

Never believe ANYTHING you hear from an AT&T retail location.

Yeah, I really hope you're right. She was looking right down at the AT&T Terminal when she said that even after I questioned her.

--

Seconds before I went to submit my credit card, their entire system went down, so they had to write down my credit card information :)eek:). Yeah, this is 2010.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
She told me 3-4 Weeks in addition to the June 24th Launch.

Yeah, I really hope you're right. She was looking right down at the AT&T Terminal when she said that even after I questioned her.

--

Seconds before I went to submit my credit card, their entire system went down, so they had to write down my credit card information :)eek:). Yeah, this is 2010.

For what it's worth I can still log on to AT&T and pre order a phone without any mention of 3-4 week delay. Not sure that means anything but..

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
This actually would not surprise me. As I have already stated on other threads, I think supply will be really constrained here. I mean, as far as we know, there was supposed to be both white and black iphones available for pre-order. Say Apple planned on 70% black and 30% white available to ship. Take that 30% white away and suddenly you have a lot smaller supply amount available for launch day. :( I am really not happy about the situation right now.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
US
I just got all the way through to click the "Order Now" button (after entering credit card info, etc) on the AT&T site and there was no mention ANYWHERE of there being a 3-4 week backorder timeframe.

The site errored out when trying to process the final step, but I assume the 3-4 week backorder would have been noted on the pop up screen that says "processing on or before June 24" and it does not.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
For what it's worth I can still log on to AT&T and pre order a phone without any mention of 3-4 week delay. Not sure that means anything but..

Yeah, that is a little reassuring. Problem is with the AT&T stores all being down, all they have is my information written down. I am not officially "Pre-Ordered" until they come back up.

She was like "well.. because it just went down, you will be the 1st to be entered in." Right. Like all of America is waiting for my AT&T store to come back onine. ;)

wangle

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
just ordered via att wireless website

ok, i tried for over an hour at the apple.com site and never got through the checking for eligibility phase.
then i go to the att website and was able to pre-order my phone with a # transfer from verizon in about 15 minutes. no mention of 3-4 week back order.
here's the email conf#
Thank you for placing your order with AT&T.
Pre-orders for iPhone® 4 and iPhone 3GS 8GB will be processed to arrive as early as June 24, 2010, if submitted by 2 p.m. ET, June 22, 2010.
The actual shipment date and receipt of your order is not guaranteed and may be subject to delays for reasons that include, but are not limited to, product availability, inventory, credit issues, number porting or carrier delays, and completion of other required AT&T business processes.
Additional items added to the cart at the time of your pre-order may ship separately depending on availability. All pre-orders taken online are being handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
We appreciate your business and take pride in providing you with the fastest 3G network in America and the best coverage worldwide.

JoeC2k6

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
i went in the store and ordered at 9:30am. its getting shipped to my house...no backorder. and they took my debit card....

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

Damnit! My roommate kept griping at me about wanting to pre-order (are you really that impatient?!). But this is why I wanted to pre-order. I didn't mind waitign a week or so, but 3-4 weeks?!!!!! And this is just for pre-orders. I am not going to be able to get the phone til at least a few days after it comes out.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
Wow I'm glad I preordered at about 4 am this morning. Dumb luck too, I happened to wake up and figured I'd check and see if I could yet.

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
i went in the store and ordered at 9:30am. its getting shipped to my house...no backorder. and they took my debit card....

Very good chance it will be cancelled they announced it at our store.
It will take it but never ship. They explained it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.