Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdoran00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Just pre-ordered at ATT store (had upgrade issues that prevented me from online pre-order).

I was greeted at the door with an associate asking me if I was sure I wanted to pre-order. She said (along with the store manager) that they would probably have enough iPhones to make it through the day on the 14th.

Needless to say I still pre-ordered despite warnings that it may be 2 weeks before phone is delivered. Not sure how this makes sense as ATT and Apple sites still say delivered on the 14th.

The associate who checked me out says it is better for the store's sales if the phones are bought outright at the store (ie not pre-ordered).

Anyone else hear this? Thoughts?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Just pre-ordered at ATT store (had upgrade issues that prevented me from online pre-order).

I was greeted at the door with an associate asking me if I was sure I wanted to pre-order. She said (along with the store manager) that they would probably have enough iPhones to make it through the day on the 14th.

Needless to say I still pre-ordered despite warnings that it may be 2 weeks before phone is delivered. Not sure how this makes sense as ATT and Apple sites still say delivered on the 14th.

The associate who checked me out says it is better for the store's sales if the phones are bought outright at the store (ie not pre-ordered).

I don't know what there is to discuss; how about you tell us what you actually did, and we can comment on what we did or whether you did the wrong or right thing?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
The online ATT store and physical stores are different entities. The physical stores have almost no control over how many phones they will get. Even if the online store is saying they have them available to ship on the 14th, you may still not get your phone in the physical store, just like they told you.

It's not like AT&T just re-routes the same phones to the store instead of online. It's a totally different process.

deadstockmarket

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
AT&T is being told that there may be a 2 week delay in ordering your phone out of precautionary of what happened last year.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Our main att store didn't recieve iPhone 4's until 2 weeks after launch.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

NEVER BELIEVE ANY FROM A STORE! These people are seperate from the online people. They make money if you buy from them rather than through the Internet.

The people at the store make a commision on extending your contract or starting a new line!

tdoran00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
"Needless to say I still pre-ordered...."

Guess I need to spell it out....

Was the store manager being truthful about the "up to 2 weeks" estimated shipping, or was he lying so that people come back and buy in store on the launch day?

----------

Another question, is an in-store pre-order the same as an online pre-order?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Was the store manager being truthful about the "up to 2 weeks" estimated shipping, or was he lying so that people come back and buy in store on the launch day?

Why don't you wait and see? Or order from Apple, go out on launch day, etc.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
they're not lying, they honestly don't know for sure and would rather give a farther out date and have people be pleasantly surprised than give launch date and have people flip the F out, like last year.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
NEVER BELIEVE ANY FROM A STORE! These people are seperate from the online people. They make money if you buy from them rather than through the Internet.

The people at the store make a commision on extending your contract or starting a new line!

So what would be the reason for telling you to come back then, if you do an upgrade or add a line on pre-sale you still get commision. Telling customers to expect delays seems to be the right thing to do if there will be delays. Don't always believe what you read on a forum is what I would tell people. Go into a store for yourselves and see. If you order it online see what date is says. Geesh lets stop with the foolishness...

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL

----------

Another question, is an in-store pre-order the same as an online pre-order?
I'm not sure what their deal is. I went into my ATT store the first day of pre-orders for the ip4 and preordered 2 phones with out a problem and had them delivered to the store. This was mid day on the first day you can preorder last year.

I got a cal the day before release day from the ATT store that my phones arrived but I couldn't pick them up till the next day which was release day. Went to the store on release day and walked out with 2 new activated phone in 20 minutes.

It was nice that ATT only had preordered phones on release day so there was no one in the store. I think they will have phones on release day this year though.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010

What part of "probably" do you not understand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.