Att Store or Apple store??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blondee028, Dec 29, 2014.

1. blondee028 macrumors member

Need help someone told me if you purchase you iPhone at your local ATT store you pay more tax than if you do if purchase it at the Apple store..I was told that in other words say if the phone cost $750 and you only pay $300 because its a new contract but your taxed on $750. Now if you buy it at the Apple store your only taxed on the $300.. Does anyone know if that is true?

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Not true. No matter which store you go to, you pay what your state requires. AT&T can not legally charge you 'more' tax than anyone else.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

this is true. of both AT&T and apple stores

in some states you pay sales tax on the $199 subsidy price and in some states you pay the sales tax on the full retail value of the phone, whether or not you paid 199 or the 649

some states you might have to pay $58 in sales taxes and in some states you might only have to pay $18 on sales taxes

4. blondee028 thread starter macrumors member

its true

I looked at my old bill from my iPhone 5 I went to a local att atore. I was taxed on the full retail price. Then I looked at my sons bill, same phone same state only he went to apple store he was taxed on the actual price he paid for the phone not retail price.