ATT Tethering...Interesting fact!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joecatz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. joecatz macrumors member

Just got off the phone with ATT support in regards to the Tethering option for those of you thinking about it.

You pay $25 for your current 2G data plan, and $45 if you switch to the 4G tethering plan.

However....

You can switch back and forth between plans if you desire, and....

...wait for it...

They prorate.

meaning that if you switched to a tethering plan on the 1st day of your billing cycle, and only needed it for a week, and switched back to normal data...

Your monthly bill would be 7 days at $45 rate ($10.50)

and 21 days at the $25 rate (17.50)

so you'd essentially pay $2.50 for that week.

If you buy the wifi IPAD, you have NO CHOICE but to pay for the data per month.

Obviously if you travel a lot, or need the constant access in no wifi areas, then the tethering plan/3G makes the most sense, but if you are like me, and are only worried about the occasional trip, etc... The switch back and forth makes sense.

Almost more so than Jailbreaking, especially if you take the double data into consideration.

2. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good post. I wonder the speed difference between direct 3G vs. Wifi-to-3G.

3. DR2000 macrumors newbie

The only thing that is off is that they prorate the $20 on top of your main data plan on your iPhone ($25) and not the whole amount. You probably will not cancel (nor can you) your iPhone data plan upon coming back from the trip.

4. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Speed is the same, I've tested it on my 3G iPad vs iPhone 4.

Good post...I was just asked the same thing over on the iPhone forum...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1108963

So essentially it's about 67¢ per day ($20 / 30 days). It's great and much better than paying $15 for a whole month with the iPad plan since you probably won't need it every day or even every week. Personally I just use my iPad out of the house once every 5-6 weeks and then once or twice a year when I travel for a few days.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

If you have IP4 on unlimited data and JB w/MIFI, your done. 19.99 and no extra games to play.

I will never pay twice for the same data I already own- unlimited.

BTW. You go to tether, good bye unlimited w/AT&T.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

One key point to mention though. If you use over 2GB in that one week, you will have to pay 10 extra dollars when switching back for another 1GB. So that has to be closely watched if you want to be prorated for a month.

7. skestes macrumors member

...let's see...minus this...OK...plus that...OK, remember to carry the one...

Nope. Still makes no sense.

8. HXGuy macrumors 68000

MyWi is the best option and that's what I'm using...but I'm thinking if in the future there isn't a jailbreak for the next iPhone for example or for 4.3 for that matter and you want to upgrade your software.

Not too worried about losing unlimited data as the most data I've used in one month since Dec 2009 was 762MB.

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There will be a jailbreak for iOS 4.3 but one never knows how long it may take for a release. That's the major downside, especially because 4.3 would allow MyWi to create an actual hotspot and not just a AdHoc network. I would finally be able to tether to all of my Android devices!

This. It's by far the most convenient option and won't force me to give up my Unlimited Data. I know that if I were to buy an iPad I would more than likely stream from Netflix on it.

10. Derek87 macrumors 6502

thanks for this post. this is something i asked about before here on the iphone forum, but i didn't take the time to ask AT&T explicitly.

this works perfectly for me since i rarely have the need to tether but when i go traveling on vacation, it would be great to get 3G access on a wifi ipad (which i am soon to purchase!)

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I still don't get how wireless providers are permitted to double dip subscribers like this. If you already are paying for data, why are they allowed to charge you extra for different ways you might use that data? It is like filling up your car and then the station attendant changing the price because you might drive on the highway (or "motorway" for our british friends).

12. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Don't forget, your data would be prorated too, not just the price!

13. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Not to rain on anyones parade here but is $10 worth all this damn trouble???

Just seems like it's way to much effort for $10/month, $120/year.

14. HXGuy macrumors 68000

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Its more like going to an all you can eat restaurant and wanting to take home food for your wife and kids as well. You are paying for the data on your Iphone and you can have as much as you want on the iphone. When you want to connect multiple additional devices that are capable of consuming a lot more data then the carrier is not double dipping you are. Again its equivalent to your agreement with the restaurant "You" can eat as much as you want for a fixed price that does not including feeding the wife and kids as well.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Somebody said that in another thread and I did not believe them, but this is very good news if true... Makes it much more useful and worthwhile.

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No it is not like that at all. Data prices are set based on average utilization.

It would be like if people had a card to fill up their tank and everyone paid $50 to fill up their tank. Some people would get 12 gallons of gas, and some people would get 40 gallons of gas.

Now everyone goes out and wants to drive big suv's with a 50 gallon tank on it, the gas station can either raise the prices for everyone or charge these suv's 10 dollars more because they know people who drive these suvs will use more gas.

If you want AT&T to charge you for what it costs to have guaranteed access to 2 gigs of data every month, your rate would go up at least 300%. Is that what you want, to pay 300% more each month just so you analogy works?

18. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The problem with this analogy is data plans are not unlimited ('all you can eat'). If we had unlimited data for tethering, then I would completely agree with you. Consumers could take advantage and eat away large sums of data. However, under AT&T's current system you are limited on the data you receive. Doesn't matter where the data goes...once you've used it, it's gone. So I agree, this is double dipping. AT&T in no way, shape, or form provides anything special for those who tether. The argument can be made, the extra 2GB is now the extra "offering" for tethering. This is AT&T's shabby attempt to make this scam legal.

We already pay for 2GBs, AT&T should not care if it is going to an iPhone, an Android phone, a Windows Phone 7, or a laptop.

The correct analogy is this: $2.00 per gallon of gas unless you plan on putting the gas in multiple cars...if so, then $4.00 a gallon.

19. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Yeah, that is called gouging...and it is illegal. If the SUV owner wants to spend $$$$ to drive, then that is their problem. They pay a set price per gallon. Data is no different. WE PAY for a set amount of data. If you go over that amount....YOU PAY MORE.

If you use all your data on Day 1, then the network will be free from your use the remaining 29 days of the month. If you can't provide data...then consumer's will go elsewhere. This is capitalism!

Example:
    Individual #1 pays $25 for 2GB on his iPhone only and uses every last drop of data.
    Individual #2 pays $45 for tethering and only uses 100MBs.

Looks like #1 used more and paid less. How does this manage the network? This is pure gouging...nothing less.

20. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

The way they get around adding cost to tethering is by "upping" the data, guys. You're getting 4G instead of 2G.

Doesn't matter if I only use 1G a month of 3g b/c I'm usually on wifi at home or work. (which is why I plan on getting a wifi ipad)

21. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

I think a lot of people forget that the very few iphone users still have (or ever had) unlimited data plans. Obviously if you were grandfathered in, a jailbreak and mywi makes more sense. I have to believe though, that a lot of the people who are waiting for ipad 2 (like me) also waited for the Iphone.

22. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

So call Att and tell them you want unlimited on iPhone or your switching to big red.

I would, 2G to tether is an absolute joke.

23. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

Already tried that. Their answer:

"We apologize for that sir, it will be $542 for you and your wife to get out of your contract early. Unfortunately, we can not offer an unlimited data plan.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

If it's important enough to you, call their bluff and switch to Verizon. Either they'll fold or you switch. Voting with your wallet is the way to send a message.

Sure you'd have to fork over $542 plus the cost of new phones; but selling the phones on ebay should offset that as well as pay much of the cost of the new iphones from Verizon. Depending on models and condition, you might even come out a little ahead.

25. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

As others have already pointed out, while you would be right if tethering were unlimited, this is not the case. You pay for a block of data. Providers should have no say in how you use it.