ATT trade in store for immediate price reduction?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickedwahine11, Sep 12, 2014.

1. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

By any chance does anyone know if you did not preorder, and you are planning on lining up at an ATT store on Friday, can you trade in your phone for an immediate reduction in price on the 6? (In my case $200 since it is 5).

I would rather not get a gift card for the bill, as my spouse pays our cell bill and I'd rather just get the cash value immediately off the purchase of the new 6 if possible.

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

3. ricktat macrumors 65816

I was told today in store that they give you the card at time of purchase. I want to use mine for Applecare and they said it wouldn't be an issue

4. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I did my pre-order at the ATT store today to be sure I could get the $200 trade in for each of my iPhone 4's. These were extra phones I was not using so was great to turn them in immediately.

I was given an ATT Promotion card today for the $400. Pick did not ask about any other card as the terms online said it would be an ATT promo card.

I came home and already used the promo card to pay my bill due next week - used it for the entire bill (some had said it would only apply to certain parts, but it paid the entire monthly bill.

5. M3LCHOR macrumors newbie

M3LCHOR

So I can't use the card for ordering an iPhone 6+ right away?

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Ordered online and nothing yet regarding the trade-in promo. When I get the shipping notification I will call AT&T to see where I can get it.

7. dagored macrumors 65816

I was told by the AT&T store manager, that I could use the trade in for anything purchased in the store. I specifically asked if I could use it to reduce the price of a 64 gig + on a two year contract.

399-200= 199. He said no problem.

8. wickedwahine11 thread starter macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Great, that is what I was hoping for.

9. Suhpreme macrumors newbie

how did you manage to trade in two iphone 4's? i thought it was limit one trade in.

and also, you can go to an at&t store now to pre-order the iphone 6 at the store AND trade in your phone(s)? and they gave you the promo cards right away? and i thought for at&t stores were first come, first serve basis on release day so what's the purpose of the pre-order in the store? please confirm, thanks!

10. kazmac, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I've received a variety of answers; the AT&T rep I spoke to earlier today said if you trade in at a store you get the gift card immediately which you can use for anything.

In store rep Update: You cannot use the gift card for pre-ordering the iPhone 6 in store or online since the card is not a Visa or Mastercard. You could use it at the store once they have the iPhone 6 stock.

I'll just use it toward my bill as I do not want to deal with launch day etc. craziness. Not the end of the world, it's too bad Apple won't let NYers do AT&T Next.

11. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

I ordered online and went to the store this morning to trade my iPhone 4 in for the gift card.

12. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Thanks for the reply to my unedited post.

I can't take time off to wait for delivery since the phone must be delivered to the billing address.

If I pre-order in store they can ship wherever I want it.

It's all good. A curve for me since I've usually waited until my contract is up, but nothing to worry about.

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

When my two 6's arrive I plan taking them and my old 5's to the AT&T store for activation and to get my gift cards trading in the 5's.

14. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

Why is that? I've had a NY (917) number for over 10 years but haven't lived there since 2006.

15. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

So can you just take in your old phone and get your promo card or do you have to sign a two year contract or something to qualify to get it?

16. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Check out the terms here - you have to purchase a new iPhone.

Attached Files:

17. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I have no idea. It's disappointing but what can you do?

Reality has kicked in. I'm slogging on with my 5 for as long as I can. Replacing my aging iMac is the priority.

I will coach my boss in learning to use her iP6 when she gets it. I always help her with Apple products.

Congrats to everyone getting a 6 or 6+ = enjoy it.