Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShannonS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Hi All, I am hoping someone with an ATT $30 GB monthly plan could check something for me.

Log into your ATT account and go to the "Change Plan" flow, I found it here: https://www.att.com/olam/selectMobileSharePlan.myworld

Select 10GB monthly plan and see if it shows a savings amount above the "Select This Plan" button.

When I switched plans two months ago using this tool while I was on the $30 Monthly Unlimited, I swore it said "Save up to $240.00 per year on your monthly recurring charge with a 10GB Mobile Share Value plan.*"

I knew the unlimited plan was no longer offered, but I made the choice based on the savings I was told. I have now found my bill is HIGHER $185 vs $205 for two lines.

mishmishtorres

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Mine says save up to $360

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 196

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hi All, I am hoping someone with an ATT $30 GB monthly plan could check something for me.

Log into your ATT account and go to the "Change Plan" flow, I found it here: https://www.att.com/olam/selectMobileSharePlan.myworld

Select 10GB monthly plan and see if it shows a savings amount above the "Select This Plan" button.

When I switched plans two months ago using this tool while I was on the $30 Monthly Unlimited, I swore it said "Save up to $240.00 per year on your monthly recurring charge with a 10GB Mobile Share Value plan.*"

I knew the unlimited plan was no longer offered, but I made the choice based on the savings I was told. I have now found my bill is HIGHER $185 vs $205 for two lines.

You only 'save' money on the family share plan if you don't use the 2-year subsidy to upgrade. If you are part of the Next program or buy your phone outright with no contract you can save up to $25 a month on service per line. That is how they calculate your "estimated yearly savings". If you are part of the Next program your monthly bill will increase because of the cost of the phone, but the monthly service fee would be cheaper.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

So you didn't do the maths on your own to decide?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

The monthly recurring charge for two lines on the 10GB plan can be as low as $130 per month, but only if you pay for your phones outright or use NEXT. Additionally, that $130 per month doesn't take into consideration the cost of the phones.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
The claim its cheaper because they unbundled the service from the subsidy. Once you add the cost of the phone and taxes, you are no better or even worse off than the old unlimited plans in many cases.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The claim its cheaper because they unbundled the service from the subsidy. Once you add the cost of the phone and taxes, you are no better or even worse off than the old unlimited plans in many cases.

i'm paying $25 more for six lines than i used to pay for 4 lines on the old unlimited plan. and that includes NEXT for 3 phones

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The monthly recurring charge for two lines on the 10GB plan can be as low as $130 per month, but only if you pay for your phones outright or use NEXT. Additionally, that $130 per month doesn't take into consideration the cost of the phones.

This is what most people don't take into consideration.

It's cheaper for a lot of people (many MacRumors members will be out of this group) who keep a phone until it is basically unusable. For those who actually get a phone every two years, savings don't tend to occur unless there are at least 3-4 lines on the account.

There have been a few examples on here where doing the contract was actually cheaper, however they were special cases where there were trade-ins involved (I am unsure why they couldn't just use the trad-in credit for something else) as well as activation fees waived (which some have great success with and others do not). Also considered into the calculation was the fact that sales tax was only calculated on the $200 portion of the contracted phone and not the full $650 MSRP. Even still, the numbers were VERY close with only a slight savings one way over the other.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Yep. It's cheaper if you buy phones outright.

Or have a ton of lines. I have 10 lines. Mine is finally cheaper. LOL.

We put the inlaws on both sides on our plan. They just pay their share every month.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
Yep. It's cheaper if you buy phones outright.

Or have a ton of lines. I have 10 lines. Mine is finally cheaper. LOL.

We put the inlaws on both sides on our plan. They just pay their share every month.
+1, same here put ten lines with people paying their fair share and saved 180 month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.