ATT "Unlimited" Anyone Ever Charged for Going Beyond 5G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prairiefire, May 14, 2009.

1. prairiefire macrumors member

Yesterday, in the Slingbox thread, there was a good bit of comment that the ATT Unlimited Data Plan is, in fact, limited to 5G.

I'm curious, does anyone know if ATT has ever enforced that limit by either cutting people off or charging them for "over use"?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I recall seeing a post yesterday where somebody stated (with a screenshot) that they hit 10 GB last month and had no additional charge.

3. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I would imagine, that unless you're tethering, it would be very hard to actually hit that amount. Unless you're the type of person who keeps the phone plugged in all day while listening to online radio or streaming video.

I surf quite a bit on 3G, and occasionally on wifi. I've never even hit 1 gig usage before.

It wouldn't surprise me if only like 1% or less of iphone users will ever use more than say 2G in a given month.

4. pacmantech macrumors member

Not that it's a data-intensive app, but I leave Pandora streaming on 3G at my desk at work, just about 40 hours a week. Even with that usage I've never hit more than just over a gig. I would love to make more use of the network but it's not easy.

5. Almy macrumors 6502

My 3G is my only Internet device. I surf online with it a TON. And the most I've hit in a month, since august, is around 3.5 gigs.

6. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

i've been slinging a lot on 3g even since the application came out... and from the time i got new minutes on the 12th... til now... the 14th. i have use about 246 MB.... if i keep going on at this rate i am sure i will pass the 5 GB limit.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

In a month, or over the lifetime of the phone?

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can't forsee hitting 1GB/month, which is why I hope rumors of tiered data plans are true.

I mostly get e-mails, news stories (either RSS or through apps), and other text-centric stuff. I use a radio app and MLB At Bat sometimes, but I don't think 64k audio is a bandwidth hog, especially on EDGE.

If there were more devices to use the iPhone to reroute stuff, like a dock you could use and then plug it into a TV or an audio dock that had GSM shielding, I might use the data more. But for now, I really just look at a crapload of text and a few photos. I do app updates over EDGE just to feel like I'm actually using my darn data allotment.

9. jisaac macrumors member

Between videos, maps and email I average about 1.5GB/mo. I could not imagine someone hitting 5 or even 10GB.

10. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

When I used to tether while at work, I would hit about 1.5gb-2gb by the end of the month.

11. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx