Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prairiefire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Yesterday, in the Slingbox thread, there was a good bit of comment that the ATT Unlimited Data Plan is, in fact, limited to 5G.

I'm curious, does anyone know if ATT has ever enforced that limit by either cutting people off or charging them for "over use"?

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I would imagine, that unless you're tethering, it would be very hard to actually hit that amount. Unless you're the type of person who keeps the phone plugged in all day while listening to online radio or streaming video.

I surf quite a bit on 3G, and occasionally on wifi. I've never even hit 1 gig usage before.

It wouldn't surprise me if only like 1% or less of iphone users will ever use more than say 2G in a given month.

pacmantech

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
Not that it's a data-intensive app, but I leave Pandora streaming on 3G at my desk at work, just about 40 hours a week. Even with that usage I've never hit more than just over a gig. I would love to make more use of the network but it's not easy.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
My 3G is my only Internet device. I surf online with it a TON. And the most I've hit in a month, since august, is around 3.5 gigs.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
i've been slinging a lot on 3g even since the application came out... and from the time i got new minutes on the 12th... til now... the 14th. i have use about 246 MB.... if i keep going on at this rate i am sure i will pass the 5 GB limit.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I can't forsee hitting 1GB/month, which is why I hope rumors of tiered data plans are true.

I mostly get e-mails, news stories (either RSS or through apps), and other text-centric stuff. I use a radio app and MLB At Bat sometimes, but I don't think 64k audio is a bandwidth hog, especially on EDGE.

If there were more devices to use the iPhone to reroute stuff, like a dock you could use and then plug it into a TV or an audio dock that had GSM shielding, I might use the data more. But for now, I really just look at a crapload of text and a few photos. I do app updates over EDGE just to feel like I'm actually using my darn data allotment.

jisaac

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Between videos, maps and email I average about 1.5GB/mo. I could not imagine someone hitting 5 or even 10GB.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
no.

img_0022.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.