ATT Unlimited Data and Ordering from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TWO2SEVEN, Sep 12, 2014.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

My wife and I have two accounts, both with unlimited data. In the past we have been able to upgrade and keep the data. I know ATT is pushing NEXT, but we would rather keep unlimited (obviously).

Has anyone pre-ordered from Apple and kept their unlimited data so far?

Just curious before I decided whether or not to switch to T-Mobile.

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have ordered two phones and all you need to do is check to box saying you want to keep you existing plan and you are good. We are both on unlimited.

3. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i ordered on the app and didn't even have a choice to change it (and we wanted to change over to mobile share). showed our unlimited on our confirmation email.

4. MannieSolo macrumors member

MannieSolo

NEXT is is not a monthly phone plan (minutes/data/text) its a Phone Finance plan. Two totally different things. SO yes you will keep your unlimited

5. tatyiona macrumors regular

tatyiona

Order from the app my plan didn't change, still have unlimited

6. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thank you both for the confirmation. I figured that was the case. I am not thrilled with ATTs prices, but our home internet (also ATT) goes so slow sometimes that I am forced to use my phone on LTE even when I am at home.

7. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

Same here. Mine still shows unlimited through the Apple app.

8. Hakone macrumors 6502a

For next time, use the Apple Store App!

Same here. Ordering via Apple (Apple Store App for us), and choosing the 'upgrade eligible' path, I recall it just carrying over my Unlimited data.

If you chose the 'pre-order' path, I remember it offering either "ATT Next" or "2-year plan" (allowing you to keep your current plan).

But when I went to ATT, it only provided an option to choose ATT Next, which by design, is their way of prying you away from the Unlimited data plan, IMHO.

9. mfr1340 macrumors regular

att thru apple.com

I have the same and you choose the 2year update plan and not the next plan. then as you finish you will see the cost breakdown and it will show the voice charge 60.00a month, and then the data charge. and it said unlimited data 30.00 a month then 40.00 one time set-up fee. it came to $586.00 for the 128g space gray iPhone 6+ with a full upgrade, and it ships with-in 7 to 10 days and home del. between 9/19 and 9/31 to 10/6

10. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds good. Thanks!

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I ordered my AT&T iPhone Plus via NEXT through Apple and did not lose my unlimited data plan. It is listed as unlimited iPhone data on my confirmation order email. They even let me keep my old $29.99 300 min roll over plan as well. Only thing it did remove was my old $10/month unlimited messaging plan. However, AT&T added it right back on my account after I called them.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, preordered from Apple and kept my existing AT&T unlimited data for $30 plan.

13. maxse928 macrumors newbie

I ordered the new iPhone 6 plus and iPhone 6 for my wife and myself. Both of us can keep the unlimited data as grandfathered.

14. vabunuc macrumors member

I first tried to pre-order from AT&T. When it came to the data plan slection, there was no option to keep my unlimited data.

Used the Apple Store app, and was able to keep my unlimited data.

I'm have 16 days left on my billing cycle and I've used 2.66 gigs so far. AT&T will have to pry that data plan from my cold dead fingers. It's the only thing keeping me from switching carriers.

15. averlus macrumors regular

Ordering from Apple won't be a problem for you at all. I don't even recall having the option to change from unlimited, it just showed on the checkout screen my current plan (unlimited data included).

Just stay away from AT&T sites. I don't trust them at all. Not after that crap they pulled a few years back trying to when trying preorder one of the 4 series on their site it said "this phone is not compatible with data unlimited". Shaaaaaady stuff.

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

What is obvious about keeping unlimited? I finally dropped the unlimited our two phones earlier this year. Only stupid part was waiting as long as I did to switch.

check out a few active threads on the first page about unlimited

17. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Using 10-20gb of data per month on each line without paying overages.

What works for me might not work for you. Thanks for your input.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good for you but not everyone has the same habits or use out of their device.
    If I did drop the unlimited I'd be paying lots of money every month in data overages.
    So speak for yourself only. Only stupid part is generalizing everyone has the same exacts needs and usage as yourself.

19. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

My thoughts exactly. There seems to be quite a few people here that like to act as if everyone has the same needs that they do.

For whatever reason, the ATT Internet I have at home doesn't work well in my bedroom. Therefore, I use my LTE. I also stream a lot of content while I'm at work and I choose not to do that on my company's wifi. Therefore, unlimited data works well for me. :)