Carrier ATT Unlimited Data - Phone Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chupa Chupa, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan - no contract anymore either. Best I can tell if I upgrade my phone under the Next plan I get no discount on my plan like other Next customers (not complaining, just stating as fact). Also if I buy w/ Next the phone does not come unlocked.

If the above is true regarding Next, wouldn't it be more advantageous to wait until Apple starts selling SIM-Free phones and then buy the Verizon version (will all GSM and CDMA bands) direct from Apple with it's financing plan?

Or am I missing something and need to buy an ATT version phone?

2. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

I don't know if it is better to buy the Verizon version, but I do agree that there seems to be no reason to buy from AT&T anymore. It used to be that a substantial subsidy was included in your grandfathered unlimited plan -- you got a new iPhone every two years at about half the list price. Now it seems to me that you get no subsidy but the monthly rate has not gone down; which, in effect, means there is a silent $20 or so per month increase in the plan rate, doesn't it?

So, I bought my iPhone 7 directly from Apple and I'm not sure I will stay with my grandfathered unlimited plan.

3. IspepAloc macrumors member

IspepAloc

For the 6S+, I went with the unlocked version so I didn't lose the unlimited plan. I've done the same for the 7.

4. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

If you have a 6 or higher iPhone to trade in, you can get a $650 credit from AT&T by paying for a new 7 with Next.

5. RedRabbits macrumors newbie

I was on the same boat. Talked to ATT rep... you only get the service discount if You switch out of Unlimited. I normally use 10 GB/ month. And my peak is 15 GB in the last 3 months.

After some easy math, it's worth it for me to switch with att next and move to the 16GB/month plan. I'll actually save $5 a month and get to use the hotspot feature.

That's worth it for me.

6. MarcRRT macrumors member

Do you lose a grandfathered unlimited data plan doing this?

7. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

No, it has nothing to do with your service plan. It just adds Next payments to your account (and then the respective credit per the promo)

8. james92se macrumors 6502a

I too am on an AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan and own my 6 Plus outright and had AT&T unlock it for me. My 2 year contract is finished on the 12th.

Personally, I just pre-ordered a T-Mobile 7 Plus early this morning and bought outright. I think the obsession with trying to get the CDMA version is a little overblown as I definitely will never be switching to Verizon or Sprint.

My only reason for buying the T-Mobile version is that it didn't ask for any account information this way. I figured that perhaps if I bought the AT&T version that they would somehow hit me with the BS $45 activation fee since I'd have to enter my account information. I plan to just remove the T-Mobile SIM and pop my AT&T SIM right in and be on my way. Although I do actually plan to switch to Cricket late next week on their $65 unlimited plan. Will save me $15 over my AT&T plan that only allows me 200 text messages per month and something insane like 450 daytime minutes a month.

9. MarcRRT macrumors member

Then I might just do that and leave all 5 of my other lines on Sprint. I was only aware of the promotion that had you port in line from other carrier and you got $650 credit. I would then lose my grandfathered unlimited plan but was told I could get a new family share unlimited data, talk, text because I have Directv. What do you think?

10. Florida Gator macrumors regular

It's not about switching to Verizon or Sprint, it's about using in markets like China for a lot of us. If you don't travel outside the US much, or only to places like Europe, then you'll be fine. But if you do go to Asia, you're going to want the Verizon model.

11. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

If you have directv, it might be worth doing the unlimited family plan cost wise. You'd have to keep directv forever then in order to keep the unlimited but with 5-6 lines to consider, you'd probably save a ton of money.