ATT unlimited data plan transferrable to new IPAD2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sevcav, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Sevcav macrumors newbie

I am just wondering if I will be able to move my sim card from my old Ipad to the Ipad2 and keep my unlimited data plan I have kept going since last April. Thoughts?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I was told by ATT iPad support that I needed to call them to make the transfer and that I should not just pop in my old SIM to the new iPad.

3. Sevcav thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news, I think. So, they will Grandfather the un-limited data plans?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And I was told by AT&T to just make the switch

However, bear in mind, I was also told by an employee at the Apple Store that I did NOT have unlimited data and that I was "mistaken" because it was impossible... AND that the iPad did not have a sim card at all. :D

Soooooooo... take everything you hear with a grain of salt

5. vegastime macrumors regular

I was told by the Apple Rep at Bestbuy, that I should be able to just switch the sim card.

Seems nobody knows for sure.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hope this is true. Just this morning I got the renewal notice for this month and I just sold my ipad today, but kept the sim card. I'm assuming the sim car has to be installed for it to renew?

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I thought that AT&T offered a plan where you could use unlimited iPad data on a month to month basis. It has been a while from when I used it, it is now gone?:confused:

8. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Unlimited monthly choice has been gone for a long time now. Only those of us who chose it from the beginning are grandfathered in...

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Wouldn't this be a good question for AT&T?

10. Elweezy macrumors regular

I got my iPad and unlimited data plan the very last day that you could have been grandfathered into it. June 6th 2010

11. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

This is my biggest question and probably the determining factor in me deciding whether or not to get the new one. If I can't keep the unlimited grandfathered plan, then I think I'm just going to hang on to my current one.

They (Apple and/or AT&T) needs to come out with a definitive statement on what their policy will be. :confused:

12. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Doesn't the new iPad use a micro sim?

I haven't pulled the SIM from my iPad 1 but I pretty sure it uses a regular sim. So unless you have a adaptor there will be no swapping of cards.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple adopted the microSIM standard with the original iPad.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Well congrats, but after using it for 6 months or so, I found it to be a waste of money when I looked at my usage.

I have no regrets in it's loss.

15. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

kind of off topic, similarly, can i transfer my unlimited data plan from my iphone 3G to iPad 2. i'm going to cancel my the service on my iphone after i buy the ipad and strictly using my company's phone.

16. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

So I'm selling my iPad a on Wed. and picking up the new one on Friday.... How should this work? I just call AT&T? or what? :apple: