Carrier ATT unlimited vs T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ray737, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ray737 macrumors 6502

I am thinking about switching from my grand fathered ATT unlimited data to T-Mobile unlimited which starts sept 6th. I travel a lot and I'm curious to hear about T-Mobile coverage issues. Are people happy with the service?? Seems like they have a much better deal than att

Thanks

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Do you have and use hotspot with your grandfathered AT&T plan?

3. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

No ATT doesn't allow it with the grandfathered plan

4. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Have you compared costs? Coverage? Perks? If you care about tethering and high def video, T-Mobile's current unlimited plan offers it while their new plan will make you pay up for it.

5. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I see. I have not looked at all that as yet.

6. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm usually on wifi most of the time so really don't care too much about HD video on my iPhone. I watch that stuff on my iPad pro

7. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

I have TMO unlimited right now. Coverage wise, they're fine for me. Worked well in Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Boston and Dallas for me. Minneapolis is my home base. If you need coverage in the city, you'd likely be just fine with TMO. but if you're in the sticks or spend a lot of time there, I'd get AT&T. With international travel, TMobile wipes the floor with the competition all-around.

AT&T unlimited does not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot.

In September, they're introducing something called TMobile One. Which is unlimited data, but it comes with a few caveats.

The tethering included in TMobile One is 2g (basically useless), and they're implementing mandatory Binge On (which automatically downscales video content to 480p). If you want full HD video on LTE, you have to pay an additional fee. If you want high speed tethering, you have to pay an additional fee for 5GB of high speed data. It's nonsense.

If you're going to switch to TMO, I'd do it immediately before TMobile One takes effect. If you switch now, you still have the ability to get Unlimited Data with Binge On turned off, as well as a 14gb LTE hotspot included.

8. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I would like to ask you to remove Boston from the list :) Just went to pick up my friend from Mass. General Hospital. No coverage inside, for some reason couldn't connect to wifi, have to go outside and got the "fastest LTE network there. Center of Boston rush hours is congested.

I have old att UDPs and 150x4 true unlimited T-mobile plan. I like Att more. New T-mobile plan is really bad.
    IMG_3954.jpg

9. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Well all carriers have their issues. The hospital I go to for doctor appointments, AT&T struggles to barely deliver EDGE inside while T-Mobile easily delivers LTE. Not sure if its band 12 or 4, but my iPhone 6s+ picks up LTE. In the bigger cities like Boston, all 4 carriers struggle. Just all depends on location.

10. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you tried T-Mobile international. Like in Europe or Mexico etc. I noticed it's free data with T-Mobile but wondering if it's painful slow speeds?

11. imlynxy, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

imlynxy macrumors 65816

That's why I have T-mobile , I travel for business a lot. In Canada, I'm mostly in Toronto, it is flying. The countries where it is 128kb it is a pain, but it is free. Most of the time it is enough for poor quality audio Facetime.

You are right, everything is location. OP should try first and if likes it port the number over. May be in your city/town T-mobile is perfect. I tried it in NYC and it is faster than Att ( IMO worst market for Att). I just asked to remove Boston from the list where T-mobile isn't great. It is good, but it is on the 4th place now even after Sprint. BTW in my doctors office I have a solid no service on T-mobile and no service to may be 1 bar Att , but they have strong Comcast. In my area all my deep pocket neighbors are on VZW (also no service in my doctor's office), T-mobile is the fastest in my place. My choice is to pay extra and have the best quality.

My advice open T-mobile line. Try it around a week, you like it port over.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Unless you're going to save a lot of money by switching, plan on traveling out of the country a lot, or need tethering, I wouldn't switch. And if you need tethering, I'd switch before the new plan becomes available to get the current unlimited plan since it comes with 14GB of high speed tethering data.

Otherwise, I wouldn't switch without at least test driving the network and seeing if it's good enough for you.

13. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I agree the new plan is bad. T-mobile has no other choice , they oversold the network in some markets. They cannot handle new customers. Same story was with Att UDP and their 4g network before.

14. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea. I think I may try it out first. I am in NYC. However I travel a lot for work often times outside the country.

15. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

We switched to T-Mobile... but I recommend keeping your AT&T GF UDP. We switched because they said I couldn't keep it if I switched the account back to my name... and they were nasty about it in the store. Our phones were under my mom's acct... and she is getting old. If she goes... I would lose my UDP anyway... so we switched... we needed to add a phone for our son before he went to camp... so I wanted the acct switched back to my name.

I averaged +40gb of data with AT&T. My current T-mo data usage this month is at 30.6gb with 10 days left on this cycle, so I don't see too much of a change in data usage with T-Mobile. No signs of getting throttled... but there was one time we went to a party, and didn't have any 4G LTE service inside the building. I never had that issue with AT&T. Walked outside, and coverage is fine. If AT&T weren't so anxious in the store to get rid of my UDP, maybe I would have stayed with them under a different plan. They are transparent about getting rid of GF UDP... so I didn't want to fight anymore.

On tethering... I've always said, I don't really need tethering personally... but it's sure is nice to give my kids a hotspot with their iPad's when we are out on the road. That's one nice thing about switching. If I hadn't transferred my phone to my mom's acct long ago... I would have kept my GF UDP as long as I could... but AT&T would probably find a way.

16. imlynxy macrumors 65816

If you are in NYC and travel a lot I think it is better for you to open a bit more expensive present UDP , than BS (sorry for my language, but it is normal John Legere's phrase) they offer from Sept. 6th. T-mobile is a no brainer for people who travel. Last time I was in NYC I found T-mobile better than Att, but I was there only 2 days.

17. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

Rush hour in a major city lead to congestion anywhere, on any network.

I spent most of my time in Sommerville and Burlington, and it was perfect service. The few times I ventured into downtown Boston, it worked great for me.

I can take Boston off the list (despite your personal experience not being the same as mine), but I'll replace it with suburbs of MA. :)

18. imlynxy, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Att's stores are not the best. I agree with you.

You could always do transfer of billing responsibility TOBR and had you line on your name. They can do this over the phone or even online. now I have 3 UDPs and one of the users wants to separate they can go with old single Att plan. Att is more flexible with all of this compare to VZW or T-mobile.

My friend has 150x4 T-mobile plan with 8 family members. His brother wanted to separate his family 4 lines. They were not allowed in so "pro customer" T-mobile.
    :)

Really downtown Boston in rush hours is bad with T-mobile. I write what I really see, side-by-side 2 phones. I have no reason to lie.

19. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

I actually just spent 6 weeks in Europe roaming with my T-mobile SIM, and service was seriously perfect everywhere I went (Netherlands, UK, Germany, Belgium and Denmark. Only can speak for the bigger cities though). Ironically I honestly think their coverage over there is better than here. (At least from my experience in Southern California, NYC, and Seattle).

For some reason, T-Mobile decided run some travelling promo for this summer and upped the data speed when roaming from 2G to LTE, but only for this July and August. I did not use Wifi at all in these 6 weeks I was traveling. It didn't even eat into my usual 2.5GB LTE data cap. True unlimited LTE. Was awesome... LTE was available everywhere I traveled to, with consistently fast speeds.

You'll definitely be fine traveling Europe with T-Mobile (but only with 2G speeds in the future, unless T-Mobile decides to keep this promo going.)

20. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks PaulDoFish. Good info. Damn 2G speeds . What is the 2.5GB LTE data cap?

21. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks PaulDoFish. Good info. Damn 2G speeds . What is the 2.5GB LTE data cap?

22. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

I have the cheapest plan with T-Mobile where I get 2.5GB of LTE data per month, and then throttled down to unlimited 2G if the 2.5GB of LTE is used up (not sure if the numbers have changed for new customers). You can of course pay more per month if you want more LTE data. Prices were pretty reasonable last I checked too!