ATT Updated Their Coverage Map, More 3G In More Places

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 25, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It looks like ATT finally updated their coverage map. It definitely wasn't like that a few days ago, so the "last updated 7/31" means that the coverage additions was last recorded on 7/31, but the additions weren't reflected onto their site until now. I've seen some pretty interesting results, there's a nice amount of 3G in areas that didn't have it before. You can check it out here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

It was updated again on September 5. I figure since this thread was bumped up, I'll post the update.

2. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I noticed 3G in the town were I work a couple of weeks ago when it didn't have it before; and when I looked then, the it didn't show on the coverage map. It does show it now.

3. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

the map was updated on 7/10 to show my house in 3G coverage, but I still can't get 3G out that far. it still reverts to edge around the area it cutoff before

4. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

Thats nice that they updated it -- but I get 1 bar of 3G at home, if it even goes off EDGE. When I look at the coverage map I would have to drive probably 30 miles to get out of 3G -- why don't I get it in the middle of the blue!?

5. gldelx macrumors member

sounds about the same as me. Map (new and old) shows 3G saturated in this area, but I normally have little to no 3G service.

Updating the map is great for bringing in new customers, but maybe actually updating the 'real' coverage before the map update would be even better.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The problem with these maps is that I can get what it advertises outside, but the 3G signal dros by 3-4 bars when I'm inside most buildings.

So I always have 3-5 bars when I'm driving around, but I spend most of my day on EDGE.

Yes, I would love the 'real' map. You know, the one their techs must use? You know this one is marketing BS because the blue is solid. In any system like this there are always going to be tiny distortions and aberations. You know, SOME part with a little hole. The fact that those aren't there means the map is just made-up to look good.

7. amorusocc macrumors newbie

dutchess county

hi where in dutchess county are you getting 3g? i can't get it any where

8. e46fanatik macrumors newbie

Too bad I still get dropped calls with 5 Bars in the center of 3G coverage!!

9. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

My entire town of San Clemente is now covered, thank you AT&T!

Yet I still sit here with 2 bars of EDGE...

10. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

wow it says 3/4 of Connecticut has 3G, thats pretty cool.:D

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Looks good. If you pay attention, it appears that many of the major Universities are now covered, including Purdue, Notre Dame, The OSU, Washington State... At least those that aren't in heavily populated areas, or at least out of the top 50 markets. It seems like at&t is expanding their network based on demand, and where a majority of the new subscribers live.

Kudos!

TEG

12. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

The map does not seem to be entirely accurate. It says I am in 3G, but Iphone only gets Edge here. About 5 minutes away is where 3G begins

Eric

13. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Its not accurate for me, it says 3G coverage is all around my college in Moraga, CA but i barely get edge up here

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

towers are starting to fire up in my town, albeit the 2 towers are in the most desolate parts of town, typical

15. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I'm so happy. I wish AT&T the best since they will have me as a customer for a long time to come.

16. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

ARRRGHHH! There's 3g coverage everywhere around my house except for about a 1 block radius (not actually a city block, I don't live in a city, just using it as a size reference). Well, I'll have to check it out and see if I get any 3g signal when I'm out tomorrow.

17. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

It's not lying either. I just drove through their and even in the boonies I had great 3g coverage.

18. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

3G Went live here in Corvallis, OR about two weeks ago. It does not look like they have updated the map to reflect that.

19. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

It's slowly creeping closer to where I live.

When this was first posted it moved to where I worked, now it is between work and home - hopefully it will make it here soon. Works great at work.

20. amorusocc macrumors newbie

where in DC

where in dutchess county do you work (town)?
    If u don't mind me asking. Just curios where u are getting 3 g - I don't get it anywhere. Wondering if it is my iPhone or my sim.

21. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I work in Westchester and they just recently got 3G in the area where I work. The map now shows Putnam county as having 3G when it didn't before, Now I'm just waiting for it to creep into Dutchess.