ATT upgraded 4s can be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcafeepepe, Oct 29, 2011.

1. mcafeepepe macrumors member

Hi guys,I dont confirm the att upgraded 4s from apple retail store is unlocked or not, If I pay full price,Tks!

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

The phone can be unlocked if you go to the store and purchase a full-price unsubsidized version of the 4S; however not all stores will be willing to sell one without an upgrade.

3. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

I dont confirm whether the upgraded is unlocked or not.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

If you pay a reduced price (e.g. $199 or $449 for the 16GB version), it will be locked to AT&T. The only way to get an unlocked phone is to pay the full price, which is $649 for the 16GB version, and to buy it from Apple directly. All the phones sold in the carrier stores are locked to the respective carriers.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Every iPhone I've had, AT&T has cheerfully unlocked. I travel internationally and it's just part of getting a new phone from them.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

Whoa, do you go to the store or can you do it by phone and what do you say?

7. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

If I upgraded with full price,do you think?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    AT&T never has unlocked any US iphone.
    I dont know where you're getting this from but dont post bad/wrong info.

9. suprsho macrumors newbie

Agreed. I just went into an ATT store today to ask if they can unlock my iPhone and got turned down. The Rep told me that ATT doesn't do unlock for iPhones (other phones, yes.) and I should go ask apple.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wait for the official release of the unlocked phone from apple if it's really important to you. You're paying full price either way. Might as well be 100% sure.

11. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

Guys,I am always doubt if is upgraded with full price,it is also unlocked

12. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Ok from what I understand if you already have an AT&T account and you pay full price for the iPhone 4S apple will unlock it for you. You have to prove that you have an account with AT&T though before they will unlock.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple will NOT unlock phones for you. Only the carriers will do this, and AT&T will NOT unlock iPhones.

If you want a guaranteed unlocked iPhone, but from Apple when they start selling them in November.

14. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

So you mean it must be locked?

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

What don't you understand? :rolleyes:
    Apple is releasing a factory unlocked phone in November. Nothing will lock it.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I bought an iPhone 4S off contract at the Apple Store on launch day and it was unlocked. However I'm hearing mixed reports on this in some people getting locked phones and others getting unlocked phones. My main concern is if I have a warranty issue, will Apple replace my current device with a locked or unlocked phone?

Anyways the official unlocked versions will be released sometime next month, so it may be wise to wait until then just to be sure.

17. PPFee macrumors 6502

I know I'm going to be mauled as a inconsiderate ass, But I haven't seen a single post you've made in this thread that is a fluent thought. I hate people who sit their and make this site a grammar lesson, I am not trying to do this, But it seems that maybe there is a disconnect somewhere. People are doing there best to interpret your posts for what they mean and not what they say, and give a clear answer, and you reply confused in a confusing manner. How Confusing. There is no malice in my intent here, I am simply suggesting if you spend more time clearly putting your posts together or have someone help you, you may have a easier and clearer time getting the information you are looking for. If you buy ( upgrade and renew a contract) and getting any lower subsidized price, than the phone will be locked. If you do not use an upgrade and simply buy a phone through the carrier or through apple for the full cash price, it will come unlocked. Thats really all there is.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Though you bought an off contract phone, it's still an AT&T phone and the fine print says you will only use it on the AT&T network.

There is every chance that AT&T will lock your phone in the future once all the dust settles...

Apple will replace your AT&T phone with another AT&T phone, and AT&T controls whether or not your phone is locked.

19. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Stop trolling. When you say this it can cause people problems by buying the wrong upgrade. It's not funny and doesn't make you look cool.

20. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

Hi man,
    I just learn more info about the unlocked issue because I ususally go aboard to oversea. I just hope to use foreign carrier's network. but I go to apple store,they ask us to upgrade and needn't buy device only due to there is not more. I have to post a thread and expect more guys provide so many infors.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think we have a language barrier.
    Right now you cant buy a full price unlocked 4S in the USA.
    Wait till November and you will be able to buy one unlocked for full price and you will be able to use any carriers GSM sim card with it.

22. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

But I hear it will be locked again,and I will go to denmark next month. So that is my worry.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it will never ever ever in your life lock.
    You will be able to buy an officially unlocked iphone from the Apple store sometime in November.
    I dont know how many times do we have to tell you this for you to understand it.
    If you come up with some confused and weird post again I give up and I will move to Denmark:D

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Once unlocked (officially) it will stay unlocked. An iPhone is unlocked because Apple says it is. It's in their database as unlocked. As long as Apple is activating iPhones they control the unlock status.

25. mcafeepepe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Got it!

----------

But you know thers is so many unlocked phones come,I just concern these phones will be locked in the future. These are not official announcement after all.