ATT/UPS Catch 22

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nealric, Oct 15, 2011.

1. nealric macrumors member

I've been dealing with quite the shipping nightmare trying to get my phone.

Yesterday, UPS said that they had made a delivery attempt when they had not. There was no info notice. I call UPS to see if I can pick it up at the depot. They tell me AT&T have placed a hold on it that prevents them from holding it for pickup.

Couldn't get through to AT&T yesterday- phone lines were completely jammed. Finally get through today- they tell me that their "contract" with UPS prevents them from allowing a hold for pickup. It's signature required, so there is no way to have it delivered to my home. And now there is no way to pick it up. But even if I let UPS ship it back to AT&T, they will only ship to my billing address. So they are essentially telling me there is no way to get my phone period.

Anybody else having this problem? Or perhaps hearing something different from them?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

At this point, why not just cancel and walk into a store and pick one up?

3. nealric thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if that's even possible. Besides, I don't think there are any 4s phones available in NYC at this point.

4. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

Apple/ATT restrict customer hold request prior to launch date to avoid people picking up the device early. I normally find what time the truck returns to UPS hub (or whereever it goes back) and pickup from there. Normally it is around 7:30 PM.

Some drivers(in very very rare incidents) don't attempt the delivery and just mark it as attempted.

5. nealric thread starter macrumors member

I actually went to the hub. The problem is that the NYC hub is absurdly large. They won't let people pickup unless they have an appointment. You can't get an appointment unless you tell them to hold for pickup.

And I'm pretty sure the driver in my instance just got overwhelmed and marked it as attempted when they did not attempt delivery. UPS said they would have someone call me about that, but they never did.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I had a similar experience but with a different service. Basically, ATT, UPS, and UPS's my choice service. When I got the tracking number, I went to the UPS site and did a $5 reroute to my UPS store in downtown seattle. I get a delivery notification that the package has arrive. UPS store has no knowledge of it but helps me track it down. Driver says he sent it to my house as originally planned.

When I get the box it's very clearly marked that it was to be rerouted to the store. They put a new shipping label on it, a sticky note at the bottom and a sticker (circled in red) that this is a "MY CHOICE REROUTE HOLD @ STORE" yet the driver completely ignored all of this.

So it seems that maybe ATT is calling the shots because there's absolutely no deviation on these puppies. Same Catch 22 though. UPS Store said next time I should send it directly to the store instead of rerouting it, oblivious to the fact that ATT only ships to the billing address :/

7. nealric thread starter macrumors member

There should have at least been a warning of these restrictions before people ordered. I would have skipped out on the pre order had I known there was no way to get the package without waiting around at home on a weekday.