ATT & Verizon Deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tfulmino, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tfulmino macrumors newbie

This is my first post and I am sure I will be chastised for what I am saying and my reliability...

Long story short, I called Verizon because I was not happy with the performance with my Blackberry (yes, I would love an iPhone - no, I am not leaving Verizon). I made up a little story and told the CS rep that ATT is offering to pay the cancelation fees for customers who sign-up with ATT and purchase and iPhone.

Her response...

"I have not heard that. We are currently receiving all emails from ATT as we are in the process of working out a deal."

Shocked, I dig deeper by what I am hearing. So, of course I ask "what deal"?

She said she was not at liberty to give any more information; however, they are working on a "merger".

So here is where the speculation starts...

1) If they are working on a deal - could this be the reason why ATT is subsidizing the iPhone cost?

2) Will other carriers in the US carry the iPhone?

Considering this all came from a CS rep - take it with as a grain of salt. But thought I would share.

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Merger!!! That's never going to happen. Verizon just bought Alltell. Also AT&T's system is totally different to Verizons (GSM versus CDMA)- they're not compatible. Finally do you think that the FCC will allow the two largest carriers in the country to merge. I think not.

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Not likely... I doubt a sales rep would be hearing rumors before the press did.

I doubt it would make it through the government review process anyway... They spent years breaking apart the old AT&T monopoly, only to have it regrow a new one in its place.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

And for everyone's education about that matter, please view this video :D

5. chrisparr macrumors regular

Err... Saying they were working on a merger *is* giving more information. Now if that were true, there would be no way the rep would know before an official statement of intent were published.

If such a statement hasn't yet been issued and you believe her, I suggest you buy some shares in one or both of these companies before the news breaks. You may make a killing.

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

She probably looked online and saw Alltel and Verizon were merging and misread it as ATT and Verizon.

7. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I'm not surprised. 3-4 months ago an in-store Verizon rep was spinning all kinds of game to me in an effort to get me to stay. She flat out said that the iPhone was coming to Verizon and that I shouldn't cancel my account. I asked her to confirm that with a manager, so she calls him over. His response:

"uh no, that phone won't work on our network"

She just looked at me and I said "then it looks like I need to cancel my account"

I haven't canceled it yet as I am waiting for the new phone, but my point is that they Verizon phone jockey's will do about anything to get you to re-up your contract.

8. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

:D Wow, that's so funny.

I liked Cingular, but I hate AT&T. Verizon is just as bad.

9. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Oh, that's golden.... and so full of truthiness.