ATT vs Sprint in Kansas City

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rustyosaurus, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rustyosaurus macrumors regular

Can anyone chime in on ATT data and voice quality in Kansas City? I currently have Sprint and am thinking about switching to ATT.

I have occassional issues with voice and data in KC but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. ap105 macrumors regular

I have AT&T also in KC(Shawnee). Voice is great usually 4-5 bars and data I get about 2-3 Mbps. I think faster in downtown around 4-5mbps.

3. saaketham macrumors member

Isn't Sprint's HQ in Kansas City? Hopefully they have good signal there. :)

4. ap105 macrumors regular

Yes in Overland park ks. But still even with HQ service isn't that good. You would expect service to be great since HQ is in KC area but still. I'm always surprised on AT&T I get 4-5 bars in KC.

5. Jladd4420 macrumors newbie

i live Lenexa,ks and sprint HQ is only 15 minutes away and i had to cancel my service because i couldnt make calls in my apt :-(, switched to ATT and i get 4-5 bars now. verizon coverage is better in my opnion but they are more expensive then i want to pay for.

6. mlukens macrumors member

I live in the Lee's Summit area but I have great coverage with AT&T, usually get 4-5 bars at my house and 3 or more bars around the area.

7. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

4G is usually pretty awesome but I can rarely get that to work, even in Kansas City. Really annoying.

I would rate myself as a pretty moderate data user - I stream Netflix sometimes, Pandora for probably 10 hours a month, lots of web pages, etc. I checked my usage and over the past year I have never once exceeded 2gb of data consumption.

8. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I was a long time sprint user and switched to ATT when the 1st iPhone dropped. Been very satisfied with the coverage and service. My buddy who works for sprint keeps asking me to switch but it is hard to think about with all the stories of everyone having extremely slow data with the 4s on the sprint network. Did a speediest in lees summit yesterday and pulled 9mbps down! Probably a fluke and I currently average 4 to 5 mbps.

9. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

I've been running speed tests a lot in Downtown and Olathe and I have still yet to break 3 Mbps.

10. ap105 macrumors regular

It totally depends on the day and the time and I bet the network is congested with all iPhone/ at&t users in Olathe you get slow speeds there. I guess it just depends. But overall AT&T isn't bad at all when the OP wants to compare to sprint.

11. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

but from what i understand sprint 3G nowhere approaches 3 mbps, only 4G. so imo that is still good.

12. guinness8878 macrumors member

guinness8878

South Kansas City here, always have great service. AT&T