Carrier Att vs T-mo and Sprint over VOWiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imlynxy, Oct 2, 2015.

1. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

Apparently Sprint and T-mobile violated FCC rules in the way they instituted it and apparently AT&T was upset that they were able to flagrantly violate FCC rules and wanted to complain about it especially since it involves problems with TTY.

Sprint and T-mobile would not need the WIFI calling feature if they had good enough reception.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

2 years old news.

No carrier can have perfect coverage and wifi-calling, if available, should be helpful to the consumer, but am afraid the service sounds kinda spotty even today 2018.

3. TooDarkPark Suspended

TooDarkPark

This is true. I have one line on AT&T and two lines on T-Mobile. On T-Mobile, I get far better coverage in my location with about 4 miles then I do with AT&T. On AT&T, I need WiFi calling enabled to even be able to make a successful call while I am in my 3 block general area.

4. PKGuy323 macrumors member

I use WiFi calling in our office building. There are places that receive no signal from any carrier except WiFi.

5. TooDarkPark Suspended

TooDarkPark

WiFi calling is also dependent upon how strong your carriers signal is. If you don't have a strong enough signal on your phone, WiFi calling won't help.

There are plenty of times when I am home, WiFi calling on AT&T just won't work because I have no bars. I usually have one bar at home but sometimes it goes to none or no signal.

6. Trash Can macrumors member

Are you sure about that?

I have AT&T. I travel internationally quite often. When I do, I put my phone in airplane mode and just use wifi. Wifi calling works extremely well - no carrier signal required. EDIT: same was true when I had VZW.

7. TooDarkPark Suspended

TooDarkPark

Well that's the way it seems to be working on my factory unlocked 8+ on AT&T. If I have no bars, WiFi calling fails every time or the call is so noisy that I can't hear anything.

I never have that problem using either of my two T-Mobile sims on my 8+. I have 5 bars on T-Mobile while at home and 0-1 bars on AT&T.

It seems to point to this being the reason. This is why I haven't given up the T-Mobile lines.

8. avanpelt macrumors 68030

This is not accurate. Wi-Fi Calling doesn’t rely on a cell signal at all. If you’re making a call over Wi-Fi and the connection is poor, the problem either lies with the Wi-Fi network you’re on or the connectivity the person you’re calling has. As someone else stated, Wi-Fi Calling works with the cellular radio disabled. I’ve used AT&T Wi-Fi Calling with the cellular radio disabled without any problems at my home, on cruise ships, and internationally.

9. kingtj macrumors 68030

There might be something strange going on where the phone keeps trying to put the call on the extremely weak cellular network despite you having wi-fi calling enabled?

Have you verified that the phone is using the available wifi network without any problems for just data transmission? (If it doesn't have the correct wireless password stored for it, for example - it might be unable to switch to it and use it?)