Att vs. T-mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hi was talking to a friend who has t-mobile. He has 4 lines, unltd data on one line, unltd voice and messaging for all lines and pays $187/month plus taxes.

I'm an AT&T customer so I called AT&T to get pricing on the same type plan as my friend; 4 lines, unltd voice and messaging on entire plan, unltd data on one iPhone line.

I was shocked the pricing I got is $273 plus taxes with my employer discounts. ClIDE to $100 more.

I actually called t-mobile as well to get verification and pricing is $187.

I thought AT&T would be at least competitive, any thoughts?

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

T-Mobile and Sprint usually offer pricing a good bit cheaper than the big two, AT&T and Verizon. Regional carriers can sometimes offer plans even more affordable than that.

But there's no such thing as a "free lunch", and the coverage area's for T-Mobile and Sprint may or may not work for you depending on where you live and travel.

In my area for example, AT&T and Verizon have pretty solid coverage in the cities and boondocks, with Sprint offering decent coverage in the cities only. T-Mobile is a no show.

If T-Mobile's coverage works for your needs though, there's money to be saved.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon and AT&T are always more expensive than Tmobile and sprint.

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I called verizon and sprint too.

Att and verizon are the same in pricing $280'ish however t-mobile and sprint are the same $187'ish.

So the big 2 are in line with eachother.

5. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

T-mobile is known as the budget brand of the big carriers. Their service plans are relatively cheap, but do have a smaller coverage range than AT&T. But in the places where you do have coverage, their service is pretty good.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

i have family with T-Mo out in the west. they are always dropping calls even when i'm on a land line. i've been on AT&T almost 2 years and only dropped calls in manhattan during the day last year during the dark times. and coverage is spotty so you're always roaming

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

ATT coverage is spotty? Where in Manhatten?

I live in Philly and ATT coverage is superb and 3G is fast.