ATT Vs Verizon 4s (Speed Usability etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SweetLou122, Nov 12, 2011.

1. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Not sure if this is the right place, my best guess though.

I currently have a 3g on att in the north tampa area, and was contemplating switching to verizon not only to hop on an add a line plan, but service generally seems better around here. It could be that I am using a 3 year old phone, but even though I used to get 2mbps down, its down to about <1. The only thing keeping me from switching is a) I still have the unlimited data with att b) the 4s for att has the 14mbps chip (although tests I have seen show about equal web page rendering).

What has everyone else's experience been?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I live in a different area then you, so my experience is super helpful, but I'll share, AT&T has always been faster and had better service in my home town. We actually switched to AT&T for two reasons 1) They were getting the iPhone 2) Verizon didn't have service at my house

Both of these are o longer the case, but we've had no reason to switch back to Verizon. AT&T has been great both network service wise and customer service, the only issue is a few overly friendly customer service, but honestly, that's not really a bad thing. And while I have had to push and stay firm at times to get what I wanted, AT&T has always come through. Not to mention we've done an early upgrade with them about three times before I contact was due for an upgrade.

And recently their put LTE in Washington DC(where I go to college), I've picked up a HTC Vivid and I've been loving it, sooo fast because so view AT&T are on the network. I understand it's not a large network so far, but it does a great job where I spend 8 out of the 12 months of a year.

Also I love the control I have with sim card, going so far as to own multiple phones at one point, which is great to try out and take advantage of what each OS has to offer. Not to mention I have a large pick of device, as I can shop outside of the carrier store.

AT&T's network is much faster then Verizon's both in theory and from adecdotal deviance I've collect in practice. Other then LTE, which speeds should be the same in theory, although I imagine more Verizon's users are own their larger network, which means while more people are covered, you risk more crowding leading to slower speeds(although I don't know if that has happen to Verizon's LTE yet) but they are both quite fast) While Verizon has more LTE coverage, that's only useful if you travel a lot, it you don't, your local network is far more important(at least in my mind)

Also AT&T has far more HSPA+ coverage then Verizon has LTE coverage, and in some areas and with some devices, HSPA+ can reach or surpass LTE(although it's unlikely at this point).

It would take a heck of a lot of wrong doing on AT&T's part to get me to move away from them, even then, I'd likely go to T Mobile and if the merger of AT&T and T Mobile happens, I'd look for MNVOs that run on GSM before I went to Verizon. It's a preference thing, the technology is better in my view.(although I'm glad Verizon is moving to LTE, it's just going to be a while before one can depend on just GSM standards on Verizon's network, while AT&T is all GSM today)

3. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

your experience is interesting. I know att 3g speeds are faster, but I have rarely heard that their coverage is better anywhere. I guess my dilemma here is that If I switch to verizon, I will most likely have better coverage, but will give up unlimited data in exchange for paying less per mo. The real question is if I switch to verizon, will I pick up the 4s? Theres a current promo for new 4g devices where they will double your data for the same price (2gb=4gb), although the only lte device I would consider is the nexus...

hmmm, anyone else in the same boat?

4. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I've had both ATT & Verizon and Verizon is much slower on 3G. I can top out about 1mb with Verizon on downloads. ATT is as high as 7 mb. However I just left ATT because of the throttling issue they have. But these speeds sure do suck!! The Verizon LTE in my area is about 8 down and 4 up. Not that earth shattering, but still better than 1mb.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I've got an AT&T 4S and the wifey has a Verizon 4 download speeds are noticeably different mine being faster than hers. Another thing to think about is if you are somebody that will talk on the phone and use the Internet at the same time unless you are on wifi Verizon cannot do both simultaneously.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear where you're coming from.
    And going from 6-7mb with AT&T to 1mb unthrottled Verizon still feels like you're throttled:D

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

But I'm not sure I want to go back to ATT even thought I'm still in the trail period of VZ. I have my moments of switching, but the whole data throttling thing is just nuts. Service signal is a tad better with VZ, but data is sure is slowed compared to unthrottled ATT.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

How much data do you use a month?

9. jwm2 macrumors regular

Kinda funny my brothers iPhone 4s (at&t) was dropping calls in my basement yesterday, but mine (verizon) was just fine.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have two phones, one on AT&T and one on Verizon. The day I brought my Verizon 4S home, I had no 3G service when at home and I still don't to this day. I have to use WiFi at home or I can't use the phone for internet or anything else, only phone calls. I get the small GPRS o that indicates no 3G data. Once I leave home, my Verizon 4S is just as fast and dependable as my AT&T iPhone. Having no 3G at home is ok since I can get on my WiFi and I do have my AT&T phone. There have been numerous complaints on this same thing on the Apple forums on how people get no Verizon 3G while at their homes.

As far as call quality, I've had dropped calls on both networks. The first day I brought the Verizon phone home, I tried about 20 calls and only had about 5 of them go through. I thought I was going to have to return it and go back to AT&T.

Where you live and use the phone will depend on what service you get with either network. My Verizon 3G is just as fast as my AT&T 3G when I am not home.