ATT World Traveler Plan Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mojohanna, Nov 24, 2008.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I am considering replacing my Alltel service with ATT and getting iPhones for the wife and I. Currently, I have a simple phone, in addition to, my main phone for when I travel to Europe (1-2x/year) and to China/Taiwan (2x/year).

With the simple phone, I can make calls at pretty much the same rate as the ATT world traveler plan. However, it is a PAYG phone, so I don't have any monthly fees.

And now for my question. Will ATT let you add/drop the world traveler plan as needed or will they not allow me to do this? BTW, data is not a problem as I have a lap top with me at all times.

One other off topic question. I would be making a big step up in my cell phone bill as I only pay about $70/month now for basic phones (900 min per month with 10 my circle numbers). I know I will have to step up more for a "smart phone" and the data plans that go with, but if I were to get a blackberry would the cell/data plan be similar in cost to the ATT plan? I have all the options available to me as my contract with Alltel is up in early Dec.

Anything else I should look for/be aware of?

Thanks for the help.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the iphones you get in the US are locked to ATT at the moment so right now you cant use any GSM network outside of ATT's unless you happen to get a firstgen iphone

as far as a world wide plan, im not sure

3. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

You should have no issue with the iphone over sea's, from my experience. Also as to the world plan, I believe you can add that or take it off as needed.