ATT Zero Eco-friendly chargers finally released!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by troop231, Jul 24, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

Saw in my local ATT that the new Eco-friendly chargers are now in stock, they just got them in last nite. They haven't updated the website yet either. Couple of pics here:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. nsbe0 macrumors newbie

3. Los macrumors regular

4. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

29.99 for the iPhone kit, and 19.99 for just the charger.

5. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

What's included in the kit aside from the charger?

6. nsbe0 macrumors newbie

oh i see what it does.

eliminate "vampire draw" of your electricity while you leave your chargers plugged in. so it's an energy bill/energy saver.

sweet.

7. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

A USB sync/charge to dock connector cable.

Yup.

Anyone else check their local stores? I submitted this to Engadget to see if they'd even do an article.

8. donutboi macrumors newbie

The main question is.... does it fit the iphone with the apple bumper on? if it does, i am all over it.

9. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I believe it does, I checked out the cable in store, and it doesn't look bigger than the Apple included one.

No one else is interested? Wow.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm interested in this but I'm not going to go out of my way to replace my current chargers. Make the ones that ship with devices this way and we'll all be better off.

11. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

This lol. Wonder why Engadget hasn't picked up my tip yet? I really hope they do, it'd be my first Engadget "article" :cool:

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If that's the case, I'd be all over it...but as much because I badly want a black charging cable for my car as for anything else. Since I have the bumper, I've had to use the white OEM one and that drives me nuts.

Wonder if they'll bring out an iPad version at some point? (higher wattage needed than the iPhone) Heck, I want something like this for my MBP!

13. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

so to be eco-friendly you have to buy a NEW charger for $30. Lets see how eco-friendly this is shall we...

Extra plastic, extra copper, extra paper (cardboard from packageing). NOw, moving on to less tangible costs, transport of product, gas, truck (count truck manufacturing in there), cost of person to do job, emissions. Now, on to manufacture and design of part, Part run through a manufacturing line which uses power, water, and POISONOUS fluids and lubricants, cost of personnel to produce part, design of part on computer electricity use, cost of designer, ect, ect, ect

So to eliminate "vampire" electrical draw, puts lots and lots of bad stuff into the atmosphere. The production of this part is probably 1000% worse for the environment, then just using the charger that came with the phone itself, now if you need an additional charger for work then go for it, but to replace your current charger, this is a scam that steals your money.

Don't forget, you spend $30 on it, how long will it take you to save the $30 in "vampire" electricity? 30 years??? probably....

I am all for saving the environment and stuff, but this actually hurts the environment (when used to replace not supplant your apple charger).

14. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Looks like it works with any USB cable. So if you have a bumper you could just buy the charger without the cable then use your own apple usb cable. Like poster said above. It's not Eco friendly to replace your perfectly good charger for one of these. It's only good if you were already gonna buy one anyway.

15. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

I agree competely.

16. jblock macrumors regular

I just measured the draw of the Apple iPhone 4 charger without the phone plugged in and it's 0.02 kilowatts per hour.

17. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

To be fair, most of us purposely buy additional chargers for our devices anyway. Rather than necessarily replacing a unit already in use, I see this as replacing a supplemental unit in a purchase you would make anyway--but now you're making a conscious effort to purchase a greener choice.

I suppose there are some folks who would opt to take their current chargers permanently out of service and replace them with this one, but I doubt most people will take that route.

18. donutboi macrumors newbie

I dont like the idea of using one charger for everything. I have one at home, one at work and a car charger in my car.

19. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

but that the point i am making...most people have more then one apple charger sitting around not being used. How many ipods/iphones have you owned. SO, you might still have a charge and if not how many people have a radio with a dock that charge.

I personally have 2 apple chargers, (iphone 4, ipod touch gen 1) and a dock on my surround sound, my gen 1 charger is at work and i dont normally have to charge at home but if i do, I use the dock the other charger is still in the box only to be remove for trips and such, but even then more likely then not, someone has and iphone charger.

PLus, you can buy a cheaper quality charger then pay for this and still negate most of the cost that "special" charger costs.

just doesn't make any sense to waste your money on a worthless product...esspeccially if the iphone charge draws only .02 kilowatts per hour.

20. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I like the tiny one Apple includes in the iPhone box.

21. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

22. Nerdyboy macrumors newbie

Zero charger really is zero

Just checked my iPhone charger. It's not .02 mwatts, it's 200 mwatts !
    1.6ma x 120v = approximate 200 mwatts

Checked zero charger and it turned off completely....not even .0000001 mwatts

How is that possible ?

23. carefreeninja macrumors newbie

24. clads01 macrumors member

Uh, kilowatts is already per unit time. And 0.02 kW = 20W seems a bit high -- I'm more inclined to believe Nerdyboy's 200 mW figure ...