Attach files to mail in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Martin29, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I am either slow or else something is wrong.. I want to attach a file (might be anything .pdf .jpg .doc) to a mail I'm trying to send using IOS.

I can see no way to do anything other than attach a pic from my camera role..

I have iCloud Drive activated and I'm using the latest public beta of Yosemite on my Mac. I've populated several folders on my iCloud Drive with the files I want to access and possibly send by mail using my iPad.

Is it me, or is there no way to access these files on an IOS device or to attach them to mails using an IOS device?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. brando123b macrumors regular

I feel like that capability is coming someday....iOS 9?

4. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

I thought the whole idea of iCloud Drive was that you could access ALL your files from ANYWHERE?

I can't even see my iCloud Drive folders on my iPad, and if I go to www.icloud.com from the iPad it takes me to a page inviting me to set up the device (which has already been done) my www.icloud.com page, seen from my mac, shows my drive, calendars, contacts, pages, numbers etc...

Something basic seems to be missing from IOS8 as it was portrayed in the developer conference!

Whatever happened to being able to send large (or even small) attachments with mail from ALL devices?

5. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

I've just reviewed the Developer Conference and the iCloud Drive pages on the Apple.com site..

Unless I'm being particularly stupid, they each refer to (and show images of) what appears to be a 'finder' type app on IOS devices which gives access to files and folders on your iCloud Drive (which some of us have paid for on the basis it was accessible from ALL devices. Does this mean we've been misled, or that I'm being stupid?

Assuming we should have access to all files and folders (not just the pages, numbers etc folders) on the iCloud Drive, then it seems logical we should be able to use them in emails.. Or even more importantly for me, be able to view them from pretty much anywhere on my iPad or iPhone.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

You're referrinng to the document picker, and it's only available in apps that were updated to support it. And I far, only one I have encountered is Dropbox.

7. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

And it was advertised as giving access to all folders and files.. There are even images of the 'picker' on the Apple site.

I want to do something real simple.. Attach a .pdf file to a mail.. And it is impossible! Are we in 2014 or 1984?

8. Monique1 macrumors regular

Yep. 8 iterations later and we're all still looking for workarounds.

In the meantime, iOS devices are flying of the shelves and Apple's marketshare keeps growing. Somebody else figure it out.