Attach iPhoto pictures to gmail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dmbisbest, Nov 18, 2007.

1. dmbisbest macrumors newbie

i am having a hard time attaching a picture from iphoto to gmail. it worked fine on my generation 1 iMac but now i have upgraded to the aluminum imac and it wont seem to let me attach a single photo to an email.

i dont want to put the picture out on the desktop then attach. it seems like too many steps for a simple action.

any advice would be great.

thanks.

disclaimer - sorry if i am missing an easy fix somewhere but i have looked all over for this.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Are you using web based gmail or gmail through the Mail app?

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Have you configured your Mail app to work with your Gmail account? If you do, you can drag iPhoto images into your Mail message and select a smaller image size at the bottom of the message and it will automatically resize the the image for you eg turn a 2.5mb image into a 225kb one :)

4. dmbisbest thread starter macrumors newbie

currently i am using thru web-based. i thought i had to pay for .mac to use the mail app. is that not the case?

5. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

No, you can use Mail with any email system that supports POP or IMAP so that includes gmail. You have to pay for .mac to use a .mac email address. Mail app and .Mac have nothing to do with each other.

6. cameraman macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So please, how do you configure your Mail app to work with your Gmail account.

Thanks

7. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

See the gmail help page.

8. cameraman macrumors newbie

argh........ trying, but not having that much luck yet.

9. cameraman macrumors newbie

Thanks, got there in the end.

ps, love MacRumors........

10. dmbisbest thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!!!

thanks everyone for your help. this is working currently. now all my friends have to watch out for me spamming them w pictures of my baby!

11. Dunn.hatani macrumors newbie

I also posted this in another thread but thought it would be useful here as well:

While trying to find the answer to this question not for email but for just general uploading of pictures into any web based interface, I found this thread. Along with some other threads it appeared as though the general consensus was drag and drop. I didn't see how this would work for a web page that required you to click a "browse" button. I tried just dragging a photo into the body of an email using web gmail. No go. So next I tried opening up the "browse" window and then dragged the photo there. My finder window (while "browsing") was opened to the pictures folder and it had just the iphoto library and other etc. After dropping the photo in the browsing window it somehow triggered the opening of the iPhotolibrary package and all of my photos were now listed. I could actually then navigate backwards into other years and other albums using the drop down menu at the top of the window. I thought that I might have to do this whole process again when uploading my pictures to facebook or myspace but the whole library was open for me to upload. Also to note, this was all in the same firefox session so the process may have to be repeated each session but I don't actually know. I hope this helps you all.