Attaching a Doc to an E-mail

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stockcerts, Mar 20, 2012.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Is their a way to attach a document to an e-mail on your iPad? I have Dropbox with several Word docs in there.

Thanks!

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

The only way I know of is through the dropbox app. You can email a link. In pages you can send it. You can't however from the mail app.

3. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

This has been my biggest gripe...

If I want to reply to someone's e-mail with an attachment, I have not been able to do it very easily. :(

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It cannot be done, period. You have to create a new email from within another app. :(

It makes replying to business emails very, very challenging.

6. bwrairen macrumors 6502

This is one of the major reasons that I always jailbreak my devices.

7. MR1324 macrumors 6502

you can attach pictures by copying from the photo album and pasting them into the email. however, i don't know what you can with office documents.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

Use Goodreader app.

It's one of the "must have " apps for iPad.

Great. Cheap.

Goodreader can store and manage local folders. You can email pictures word docs PDF files straight from your iPad.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, you can, but you cannot attach one of those files to a REPLY.

The problem is getting an email from someone asking for the file. I can't hit REPLY and attach it. I have to go outside of the mail app to do this. If the email string is important, I lose that. If he CCed 7 people who are also supposed to get the reply, I have to manually transpose the 8 email addresses in the new message.

This is very 90s....

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

And that is what I mean by "not very easily." It is a really huge PITA for us business users on the go who are trying to do more with an iPad and less with a laptop. :(

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I wonder when we'll start a "this should be in iOS6 thread!" Because I have a small list to contribute. ;)

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Here's a thought - every app gets a "folder" somewhere in the storage area that only that app can write to. You then give apps with the ability to "read-only " from any of these folders. So you create a doc with Quickoffice, and when you hit save, it goes into this special folder where any other app can read from there. That way I can add an "attach" function to an email app. Or even open it from another Office app, and if I edit it, I can then only save it to the current app space

Someone a lot smarter than me needs to educate me why this idea is nuts....

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'm flabbergasted that I still can't open Mail, hit new, write what I want and then tap insert image/attachment. It's epicly retarded.

Simply add a "documents" kind of app that holds Word and Pages docs. Then FIX the stupid way mail doesn't have an add attachment option. Let it be able to access my pics and the new 'documents area' on iOS and then... attach it to the stinking email!!!! :mad:

14. troop231 macrumors 603

It's not nuts at all! Since it would be read-only, this would be a very safe and secure method of apps being able to share docs with each other. It wouldn't be that hard for Apple to implement either.

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a feeling this will be solved in iOS 6.

Just look at the Documents in the Cloud feature of Mountain Lion to see what I mean.

16. aneftp macrumors 601

I am the opposite. I hate multiple threaded replied emails. I just start a new email message.

Same goes for mass texts. I just send then link to my twitter posting individually. I don't like cross referencing any users.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Its not a matter of liking, its a matter of being in the middle of an email discussion and having to reply to multiple people with an attachment. Starting a new email is not an option, or not a practical one for that matter.

18. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I agree that iCloud will be at the center of the resolution. Apps will have the ability to save to iCloud and once ther others apps will be able to use them. It is logical that it will eventually go this way.

19. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Omg what happend I've been here before please take me back to the future.:D

Sorry ZBoater I just had to.
    But I do agree it needs to be made way easier then now.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This is something Android does perfectly. No idea why people at Apple haven't figured this out yet.

21. macman7002 macrumors regular

You wouldn't think it'd be too hard to add a little 'Attach' button to Mail.app for attaching various documents. But I guess it is. Here is to hoping this feature is in iOS 6.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

When they do, it will be "revolutionary"! Like folders, multitasking, and the notification pull down.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Like copy and paste. Remember the first iPhone didn't have those...

24. macman7002 macrumors regular

It will be groundbreaking, I'm sure of it. Perhaps the "funnest" Mail application ever.

----------

And the opening of the App Store. I almost forgot that Copy & Paste came into the game late.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ah yes, the 3G. People actually dropped to their knees like John Holmes was about to finish when the announced that feature.