Attaching external HD and some OS questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LinuxPete, Jan 14, 2012.

1. LinuxPete macrumors newbie

New forum and brand new mac user here... hopefully I'm opening this thread in the appropriate place.

Recently I have packed my old PC in the moving container (long story) but I have retained the hard drive. I have music that I collected for years on the drive, and also have been using iTunes for PC. Now after many years I have finally decided to try the Mac Book (mainly because of the best screen quality I've ever seen, but that's a completely different topic :) )

So, I have my drive, I have the enclosure, which is connected by USB - what next? How do I move in my music files?
    I opened the finder, but cannot see any directory structure or anything similar - it looks very dumb, with only thing I can see is 'movies' or 'pictures'.
    Now, given that my background is Linux OS (Windows as well but I do dislike Microsoft and their philosophy), and having read that the Mac OS is based mainly on Unix, I am really puzzled and wondering how to do following things, if they are possible at all? Am I expecting too much?

- How to open command prompt (is there a command prompt?)
    - How to see file structure in the finder. A massive help would just to be able to see the HOME directory!
    - How do I see OS system files?
    - When I connect the external drive, how do I see it in the finder?
    - Will I be able to read my PC hard drive at all?
    - If not, is there any chance to import all this music any other way?

This is probably a lot to start with, so in hoping to get some valuable answers, I am closing this first post now. Cheers :)

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

/Appications/Utilities/Terminal.app, but you probably shouldn't even try this until you are familiar with Mac basics.

These happen automatically, you don't have to do anything.

Yes, just plug it in. If it is NTFS format, it will be read only, but you can get a read-write NTFS driver for Mac OS X if you need it. You can drag and drop the files straight onto iTunes if they worked with iTunes for Windows.

I would recommend learning some Mac basics first. ;)

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

When you plug in the drive it should appear in Finder's sidebar. You may have to scroll down to see it

If you do see it you can drag the music files into your music folder if you want them on your internal drive or just drag them into iTunes to leave them where they are.

You shouldn't ever have to touch system files but they are stored in a folder called Library. If you're on Lion it's hidden by default.