Attaching files to e-mails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grenville, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Grenville macrumors newbie

This seems such a basic request for advice but I am having problems attaching files to send in emails. When I create an email I then press 'attach', browse to the file I want to attach, then click 'choose file'. The reponse I get from many recipients is that the files are embedded in the mail not attached and often they can't open them. Sure to be a simple solution... but damned if I can work it out!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To attach a file to an email in Apple Mail, just drag the file from a Finder window onto the body of the email you're composing. Done!

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

You say 'many recipients' can't open them, not all. I've had this happen before and it always turns out to be a setting in the recipients' email software (normally Outlook).

Try changing your message format to Plain Text in Mail's preferences.

Attached Files:

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Do you tick the Send Windows-Friendly attachment button?

5. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

I've encountered this problem when attaching image files to emails in rich text format. Windows mail clients tend to display these images as if they're embedded in the message rather than as attachments and for some reason Windows doesn't allow you to drag or save embedded images out of emails.

The only solutions I've found are:

i. Compose your mails in plain text rather than rich text (you can change this universally in Mail.app preferences under 'Composing' or on individual mails while composing from the Format menu).

ii. Archive/Compress image files as Zips before attaching.

This only seems to affect image files, other file types attach just fine, and it only happens when sending to non-Mac users.

jx

6. Grenville thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! It is the PC users that have problems with my mails. I'll try Plain Text. and compress more often!

7. Londailey macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard Mail attachments

Recently installed Snow Leopard without any problems; however, can't add attachments either by drag and drop or the standard method without Mail crashing. Any ideas?