Attachment files in Mail disorganised.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by novetan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

When I drag and drop attachments to the Mail, its snap all over the place. PDF will be automatically open, whereas spread sheet, doc and email will be shown in icon. Some before my text, some in between my signature, some right below etc. Its all over.

Its there a way to let Mail auto display in a more organised manner before I press the send button?

2. xsimsimx macrumors member

xsimsimx

you can choose where you put your files, when you drag and drop, if you want to put it behind your signature, just drag your file under your signature, instead of just dragging it to the middle and release.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

If you drag and drop into a New Message window, the attachment is inserted at the current location of the cursor---unless you set Mail-->Edit-->Attachments-->Always Insert Attachments at End of Message.

You can control-click on a displayed attachment and choose View as Icon.

[EDIT] As noted by xsimsimx, the cursor will move as you drag your attachment, so you can place it wherever you wish.

4. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for reply.

So if I attach 100 pdf (which is common in my construction trade for tendering). it will be 100 patches of full display in the window message pane.

Its not possible to highlight all and control-click and choose view as Icon. I tried it and doesn't work.

So I have to do control-click 100 times?

Of course it doesn't really matter to me as i suppose the end result to the recepient will recieve in Icon anyway Am I correct? But having full display of 100 pages in my Sent Folder seems quite disorganised.

Any further advise pse. Thanks

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Perhaps there is a hidden preference setting to always display pdf attachments as icons. Or maybe even a non-hidden setting, though I didn't see it.

Attaching 100 pdfs to a mail message seems ... unusual. I would copy the pdfs into a separate folder (maybe name the folder pdfAttachments) and then control-click on that folder and choose Compress "pdfAttachments". Then I'd simply attach the resulting .zip archive to my mail message.

6. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, that sounds more logical. Got to try it out.

Thanks

7. xsimsimx macrumors member

xsimsimx

8. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Construction Tender documents run into hundreds, and we are not talking about billions worth of project yet.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Multi-page PDFs show up as an icon while single-page PDFs (along with image files like JPGs, PNGs, GIFs, etc.) display their contents in Mail. I've also heard of this, but have never used it so I can't vouch for it.