Attachments getting corrupted and showing as 0kb in Mail app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willryan42, Feb 11, 2013.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

I didn't notice this until a few people said they weren't getting my attachments, but for some reason when I attach files to an email the recipient sees it as a 0kb file. After logging into the gmail.com, I saw that my messages did indeed have the correct files, but were showing as 0kb. This has happened with .zips, .pdfs, and excel files. If I compose a message and attach a file in the Gmail interface, all works fine.

I use AttachmentTamer with my Mail app, and have been using it for over a year. I don't know how long this problem has been going on because from my point of view, everything looks fine until somebody brings it to my attention.

Anybody know what could be causing this? Is there a way I can reset/clear cache of the Mail app?

2. deanburchell macrumors newbie

My post is of no help, just to chime in that I am experiencing this issue for the last 24 hours and have been unable to correct it. in my case, attempts at adding attachment(s) to an email has different results depending on how the attachment was initiated. Using the "attach" button or command and selecting a file results in nothing getting added to the email. Dragging an existing file icon from the Finder to an email results in the 0KB "ghost" file you're experiencing.

It seems like it might be a permissions issue along with the new sandboxing in 10.8? I did notice that ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail%20Downloads did have a user for which it displayed "Fetching" in Get Info's permissions area, which makes me suspicious of the permissions. I attempted to correct the permissions but it had no effect. The corrupt attachments appear in this folder. If I replace the corrupted file with the same file from its original location in the Finder the attachment will then work.

I also *just* discovered as I'm posting this that a file from my "downloads" folder seems to work but a file located outside of my user directory does not. If I keep experimenting while I type this I'll never actually hit the post button …