Attempt exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegaspilot, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Vegaspilot, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Just curious on your guys input. I bought an iPhone 4 32GB a week ago and everything works good on it. The only issue I've noticed is a bit of light bleed on the upper sides (right side a little worse than the left) and it has a semi reflective speck of something under the screen just to the right and above center when held up right.The light bleed doesn't bother me too much, it's the speck I'm more concerned about. It's really only noticeable it a well lit area or outside. I'm hesitant to try an exchange because I've had issues before where the new one had other problems or was worse than the one I traded in. I still have some time to decide if it bothers me that much, just curious what some of you would do.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd wait and see how well or not it functions or if it continues to bother you.
    You have another 11 months and 3 weeks to decide if you want to have it replaced or not.

3. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Wouldn't you need to bring it back within the 30 day window for a "no-hassle" exchange?

Either way...Vegaspilot I would take it back for a new one. Even if it doesn't bother you it sounds like you may have gotten one with some factory defects/build issues. Who knows what else might be hiding inside it. But I would do it sooner than later so as not to risk any warranty hassles.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple does not do "warranty hassles". They would either fix it or replace it.;)

5. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

All good points. If I get it exchanged I'd want to do it in the first 30 days so as to get a sealed new unit. After 30 days its the plain box which is fine at that point.

6. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Yeah I would go for it immediately. There's obviously some sort of defect (albeit probably minor) which may not ultimately affect functionality, but why risk it on such an expensive device. Go get what you paid for!

7. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I guess I just meant that as in the longer the OP waits to return it the greater the chance of an Apple Genii blowing it off as user damage/mishandling and denying a warranty replacement.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple is always really good with warranty service.
    And weather you bring it now or 6 months later you prob still get a refurb.
    But not that it makes any difference. Their refurb units are top notch.

9. jas1973 macrumors 6502

i would keep it if it works fine and use it, then exchange it a month before the new iphone comes out so you can sell it as a shiny new phone and get the latest iphone = )

10. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. I was under the impression that within the first 30 days they'd swap it out for a new unit. After the 30 was up then you'd get a plain box maybe new maybe refurbed unit. I'd prefer a new one at least in the first 30 days. Kinda nice to have new when you paid for new, but you're right the refurbs are good.