Attempt to address iTunes issue in terminal goes awry

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrWindUpBird, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. MrWindUpBird macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #1
    Hello there everyone, I've created a problem for myself by tampering where I shouldn't have tampered. In my attempts to correct issues I was having with the program iFuntastic and iTunes, I foolishly followed the instructions of a ghost-post on the iPhone alley forums to alter the contents of the MobileDevice.framework folder under System.

    Long story short: Accessing terminal, I used sudo command;
    " sudo mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework_old"


    Which required me to enter my password, rather than already acknowledging being in over my head, I stupidly continued and did whatever it is that I did successfully, though acknowledging the results, I wish I had failed.

    Now upon plugging my iPhone in, iTunes opens as it should, but does not show my iPhone in the sidebar, leaving me unable to access it in any way, to add music or anything of the like.

    I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I followed that with the sudo command; "
    sudo mv /location/of/downloaded/MobileDevice.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/"

    Which didn't seem to work, because it said my command lacked specification.

    Honestly, I've put myself in an annoying place, knowing that I've probably done something fairly simple to fix had I any advanced knowledge about the equipment, unfortunately I don't, and my anxiousness to be able to change my iPhone background has left me in a position where I can't even put music on it, something I should legitimately be able to do. The irony is unbearable.

    PLEASE HELP ME, this is so frustrating. I can't tell you enough how grateful I'll be for any response, I can't begin to imagine how I can remedy this on my own with such limited technical experience and skill.

    This is the link to the post that triggered my ill-advised little exploit:
    http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-896.html
     
  2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #2
    All you did was rename the folder that holds the iPhone drivers (more or less)

    Then you tried to move a newly downloaded version in it's place.

    The first command probably worked correctly, and in essence backed up your drivers. The problem is the 2nd command. It tried to move the file from /location/of/downloaded/MobileDevice.framework to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ however, you needed to replace /location/of/downloaded/MobileDevice.framework with the actual location.

    If that doesn't work, try
    Code:
    sudo mv /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework_old /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework
    This should restore the backup to where it needs to be, restoring the drivers so your iPhone works again :)

    P.S. You should probably know what you're doing too... Read this. http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fileman.html
     
  3. MrWindUpBird thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    #3
    Thank you so much, that fixed it immediately. I understand that it must have seemed ridiculously stupid of me being so code illiterate to mess with anything, precisely because it was ridiculously stupid of me. I honestly would have been completely lost without your help, I'm extremely grateful.
     

Share This Page