Attempted Adobe Flash Player Install crashing Safari & Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PTO, Aug 22, 2008.

1. PTO macrumors newbie

I just went to a website that asked if I wanted to download Adobe Flash Player. I indicated I did, went through the download/install process, and as the install finished up and was opening up a web-page, my Firefox browser crashed. I tried the same procedures again, same result. Also tried it with Safari-same result. It doesn't appear as if Adobe Flash Player ever was installed.

Next, I decided to forget about Flash Player for awhile, and tried to just open a website in Firefox, and the browser crashed. Tried the same thing in Safari, same result-a crashed browser.

I got rid of the Flash Player install files, emptied caches, etc.-seemed to clear things up. But when I tried to go to the website that originally offered the Flash Player download, down went my browser again, and other attempts to open other pages also failed!

What's the deal here?! Anybody out there have similar problems, and if so how did you solve them?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Phil

2. Teddy's macrumors 6502

I had a problem with the Adobe Flash Player installer 9. I was trying to get some flash content to play properly (I didn't know, the flash content was at fault.) So I went to adobe's website and I downloaded the installer (August 23rd)

The installer crashed. At my next safari reboot, it said "you don't have the Flash shockwave something plugin."

I tried several times running the Flash installer and it kept crashing.

The last time I tried, I left the installer there for about 1 hour. It crashed, I guess. I forced quit the installer. I restarted my computer. Next, Safari launched correctly with all bells and whistles. So now it's ok and I do not want to mess up with that installer ever again. Maybe there is something weird there.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it - Moral of my story I guess.