Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
I have been using a mid-2009 vanilla MacBook for the past 4 or so years. Over this time, I've bootcamped it with Windows 7, upgraded the RAM to 8 GB, and have installed most of my Steam games on an external HDD for space reasons. My MB has been used to the point where the CPU's thermal paste is not working well at all, and the CPU reaches temps of 100 C at times. It has overheated on Minecraft on lowest settings and windowed mode. I can't play games right after startup because it will overheat and underclock to (at the lowest point) 1.8 GHz.
I have a friend who is a PC gamer who is very knowledgeable with building/modding computers. Long story short, he screwed up some cables and stuff getting to the CPU, and it won't boot. He has offered to build me a powerful (and cheap) Hackintosh with the same hard drive or get the same model (for cheap) and switch out hard drive + RAM (which will be hard because of how Apple hardware is designed) but I'm unsure of what to do. Should I spend a few hundred on a Hackintosh and sell the laptop for parts, buy the same model and switch parts around, or send it to Apple?

A non-biased opinion would be nice, too.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
First off I would find out exactly what is broken, if it is just a cable then you may be able to buy a cheap replacement off somewhere like eBay, however if it's one of the connectors on the motherboard that has broken then it will likely not be worth repairing.

Hackintosh wise, are you comfortable with messing around with it when it breaks?
Hard drive wise you can just swap those around easily, the RAM will not be useful as it is old and is laptop memory so that wouldn't be any good to reuse unless you bought an old laptop.

I think what you do will come down to how much you need OS X, how much money you have and whether you are happy to fix things when your hackintosh breaks.

Personally I guess the options are:-
1) Try to fix the broken laptop, depending on what is wrong this may be the cheapest option.
2) If you need OS X build a hackintosh, but be prepared for things to not always work right. You can always run Windows on it as well.
3) Built or buy a standard Windows PC either a laptop or desktop not caring about running OS X on it. If you don't need OS X then you can get a decent machine fairly cheap nowadays. Certainly one which would outperform your old laptop, and play games well if that is important to you.
4) Buy a new or second hand Mac, likely the most expensive option but if you want/need OS X and have enough money it may be the best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.