Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckenziepiping

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Ok so I may have bricked one of my MacBook Airs.

I am writing this post from the MB that's working. I have another one with a dead display. I connected them by Thunderbolt and mounted the broken one as a disk onto the working one using Target Disk mode. Then I used the disk utility to reformat the drive as APFS, Guid Partition. Then I tried to install Catalina but it says "You may not install to this volume because it's a Mac in target disk mode" (see screenshot.)

Have I created an irrecoverable situation?

The only solution I can imagine is to remove the HDD from the bum Mac, put it into the working Mac, install Catalina that way, then put the drive back. Both Macs are out of warranty so it's whatever... but I'm wondering there's a less messy way to get myself out of this hairy situation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 13.00.11.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 13.00.11.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 257

Secubia

macrumors member
May 4, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
What about connecting an external monitor (guessing if the display is dead you’ll be needing one anyway to use it?) and installing Catalina from a usb stick?

mckenziepiping

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
I have an external monitor connected but the Mac doesn't output any video until the OS is up and running. Pre-OS things like the boot menu won't show up on an external monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.