Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
When I upgrade iOS12 via iTunes , pretty much every time now i'm always seen "Attempting data recovery" message..

Had this on iPhone 6s the last few versions, but 12.1.2 not happening, but on iPad it is 12.1.1.

However all seems fine... When I googled this, the solution was to just upgrade over Wi-Fi... However, anyone know why this is only from updating in iTunes ? At first I thought, it was a lever way for Apple to "scare" people into just updating via Wi-fi, being easier. or somehow in the future rid of updating iOS via iTunes altogether. Running iTunes 12.9

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Message is really straightforward :) Best gues that it's file indexing after iOS reinstall or smth similar. Had this when updating with iMazing as well. Just wait till it finishes, nothing to worry about. Seems some specific stuff with Apple drivers. You should worry only if it will go in a loop.

DFU restore and 'Set up as new' may help I think, but better don't loose time as this message won't bring any harm to device/data. Just additional 30-40 minutes.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Normally, "Attempting data recovery" wouldn't show most of the time but its not quite unusual either. I've seen it a few times after installing while connected to iTunes and then you'll see iTunes prompt it will disconnect in 10 seconds. I only update using iTunes and I'll continue to stick with iTunes since I feel it is better than OTA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.