Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stybrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I have a 450mhz Dual G4 with Linux Yellow Jacket loaded on it.

The Org. DVD-ROM drive has been replaced with a CD-ROM Drive
(I can't just pop in the OSX Install DVD-and I dont have access to a spare internal mac compatable dvd-rom drive)

IF I take the hardrive out of the 450mhz G4 - Pop it into my 1.42Ghz G4, zero out the drive, load a fresh install of OSX onto it, then put it back into the 450mhz G4 ...Will that work? or is it a waist of time?

Thanks for any info or other suggestions that may come,
stybrain

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I've only recently entered the mac world, so forgive my ignorance, but does the dualie have firewire? If it does, just put it in firewire target disk mode and hook the two together. I don't see why taking the disk out and doing it that way wouldn't work either, provided that you put it back in the dualie right after the installation completes, before the first reboot.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a 450mhz Dual G4 with Linux Yellow Jacket loaded on it.

The Org. DVD-ROM drive has been replaced with a CD-ROM Drive
(I can't just pop in the OSX Install DVD-and I dont have access to a spare internal mac compatable dvd-rom drive)

IF I take the hardrive out of the 450mhz G4 - Pop it into my 1.42Ghz G4, zero out the drive, load a fresh install of OSX onto it, then put it back into the 450mhz G4 ...Will that work? or is it a waist of time?

Thanks for any info or other suggestions that may come,
stybrain

That will work absolutely fine. Done it myself many times with G3 systems that I was putting new hard drives in. Alternatively use a firewire external drive to install from DVD.

David

stybrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
hmmm

why is it neccasary to but the drive in before the first reboot?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
why is it neccasary to but the drive in before the first reboot?

:confused:

I installed Tiger on a G3 iBook using target disk mode its pretty easy to do, just shut down your G4 and and coonect the firewire cables to both Macs the G4 will be the only one you have to shut down. After the cables are connected, turn the G4 on and hold T until the Firewire logo shows up on screen the host mac will then mount the G4 as if it were a HD then pop in the tiger disk and install like its a hard drive.

stybrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
not working

I tried swapping the harddrives. I di it both before the initial reboot OSX and after. when i put the drive in the 450 it starts to boot up then goes to a grey screen with a mouse arrow in the upper left corner. any thoughts?

stybrain

stybrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I have reset the PRAM and worked in single user mode to try and clear things up but I am not well versed in all of that. -- so far i have had the same results.

Linux is running perfect on the machine right now. So I am just making the assumption that it will, eventually, run a MAC OS again. I am getting a DVD-ROM drive for it in the next couple days. BUT tonight a friend of mine is lending me an External Firewire harddrive that has a partition with OSX 10.2 loaded on it. Also, I am picking up an External Firewire DVD-R dirve. My question is this:

With Linux Yellow Dog Loaded, Will I be able to use the Target disk mode. AND even if I can. Will I be able to connect to these devices to boot from? or does the device need to be another Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.