Attempting Purplera1n jailbreak...stuck!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DTphonehome, Jul 13, 2009.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hey all, I'm having issues with my purplera1n jailbreak... I download the program, click "make it rain", then I'm told to wait... the iphone displays the USB plug ---> iTunes icon (recovery mode), and stays at that screen forever more. What do I do??
    Thanks for any help!

2. navigates macrumors 6502a

I've seen this occurrence reboot your phone. Use another PC. I had the same issue and changing the laptop to another one worked.
    Worked on Lenovo and had the same issue as yours on Dell. fyi.

3. Cap41 macrumors 6502

4. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

What would I need that for?

I'm on a macbook pro (running oS X of course)... would that make a difference?

5. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

You can get the ECID after you jailbreak too.... Just put it in dfu.... Get it..... Then restart the phone to exit dfu mode.

6. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Try activating through iTunes first before jailbreaking with purplerain. I didn't have any problems jailbreaking mine with purplerain and I'm also using a MacBook pro.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

ok you should get your ECID but u do NOT need it at this point.. this was kind of happening to me ..what you should do is close purplera1n then open it again and click make it rain ..it should work now

9. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

Whoops, no I should have mentioned that I'm using a plain old 3G.

My phone was activated well before I attempted the jailbreak... it seems to have lost the activation once I clicked "make it rain". I had to completely restore my phone to get it to work again.

10. The General macrumors 601

purplera1n is only for the 3G S. It blows my mind that geohot didn't make this very clear. It would have been trivial to just have purplera1n tell you when you plug in your 3G that it can't jailbreak it.

Use redsn0w. Stay away from anything that isn't from the official iPhone dev team.