Attempting to change inverter board/cable; problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shigsy, Dec 16, 2009.

1. shigsy macrumors newbie

My 13" MacBook (white) has the problem with the backlight going out, usually when the screen is physically adjusted.

I ordered an inverter board and cable off eBay. I've got the top of the case and the hinge cover removed so I can access both the inverter board and the cable that runs from the inverter board to the logic board.

While attempting to remove the cable connector from the logic board, the plastic housing of the connector broke off leaving four exposed pins soldered to the logic board.

After this happened, I carefully compared the new cable's connector to what was left of the old cable's connector, and they don't appear to be exactly the same. The new cable appears to have a push-down style type of connection, while frankly, I can't tell how the original connector was supposed to be removed at all.

I've attached a pic of the logic board (a close up of the pins) and another pic of the two cables.

Any help as how to proceed is appreciated. From what I can tell, the new cable will not simply push down onto the pins on the logic board. If I had to guess, I'd say the new cable is a slightly different revision, and that I need to find an original style cable, but that's just a guess.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think you have wrecked your logicboard....

It looks as if you have a Santa Rosa (late 2007 or later model). The new inverter cable looks as if it might be from the earlier MacBook but the end is so blurry that I cannot tell...

If you have snapped off the inverter cable socket on the logicboard then I do not think that it matters too much which connection you have......

The connections on the Santa Rosa and later boards are fairly delicate but normally it is the plug around the wires that snaps and not the socket. I suspect you will struggle to get it repaired anywhere.

3. shigsy thread starter macrumors newbie

I fear you are correct.

Now that I've got the inverter out, I've ordered the exact same part # off eBay. I'll wait to see what it looks like. If I can't make it work, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet, order a new laptop and relegate this one to use as a desktop machine (using the mini-dvi port).

Anyone have experience with the Apple repair service? If I send in a laptop that's obviously been attempted to be repaired like this, will they just refuse to service it for the flat rate?