Attempting to connect eMAC to Verizon DSL

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mheaster, Oct 7, 2008.

1. mheaster macrumors newbie

Attempting to connect eMAC to Verizon DSL:

I am (not a Mac guy) attempting to help an older woman friend connect her somewhat older eMac to her newly purchased Verizon DSL.

Several problems so far (other than my Mac-feebleness!):

Hers has OS X ver 10.2 and Verizon Software states must be 10.3 or better.
    Hers has IE 5.2 for MAC and Verizon Software states must have IE 6.0 (?)

DSL Modem is connected and seems to be sort of talking right and tries to download IE 6.0 but connection ceases about 1.5 minutes into it.

My question, can I just hook up my (Windows laptop) and configure the DSL Modem with her account info and then just disconnect and connect her eMAC?

Anyone ever done such a thing or have any experience with this?

I think what I read was that IE 6.0 for Mac never materialized right?
    And she would have to Purchase OS X 10.3?

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

How is the modem connected? Ethernet? Wifi? USB?

Often ISP's state certain requirements like OS version, because the support staff are only trained to provide support for certain configurations. If a computer is outside of the requirements, it doesn't mean it wont work. More than likely, it will work. But if something goes wrong, the support staff will be even less helpful than usual, thats all.

Anyway, if its connected by ethernet or wifi, then there really shouldn't be any problems. If USB, then I recommend using another modem with ethernet/wifi instead.

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I had a very similar thing happen with my wife's PowerBook (G3 Bronze), also running 10.2. (It was ATT DLS)

I used a Mac laptop though.

You are correct about IE 6, but you should be able to get Safari for the Mac. It may not be the latest version, but it will be better than IE5.

I wouldn't spend the money on the 10.3 update until you try out what she has with the DLS. My wife's works fine, a little slow sometimes, but it works for her needs of email and general research.

On the same topic but another note, I have 2 eMacs and they are splendid machines. With enough RAM I think they can even run 10.5.