Attempting to perform disk repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lindie, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lindie macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    New to the boards and new to Mac in general. I have a macbook, only 7 months old, recently started running slow at startup, takes the icons a while to open, etc. So I found some suggestions on how to fix this, tried safe boot, tried resetting PRAM, and I am now attempting the disk utility. My only problem is when I get into the disk utility to perform the repair, the next step is to "click the disclosure triangle to the left of the HD icon to display names of hard disk volumes, select Mac OS X volume and repair". My problem is this:

There is no disclosure triangle next to my HD icon. So what is the next step? It shows my HD then below it there is the OS disk but when I click it I cannot repair or verify, not sure where to go from here. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. And like I said, I'm new to Mac and do not know terminology well.

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

To repair you disk, you have to boot your mac from the disk (snow leopard, by holding c with the disk inserted on boot-up) or from the recovery partition (lion, by holding option(alt) on boot).

From there you can open disk utility and repair you disk

3. lindie thread starter macrumors newbie

I am booting it up from the disc, and the option to repair/verify is not available