Attempting to repair a "dead" 2007 Black MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MoveBedloesBody, Jun 20, 2013.

1. MoveBedloesBody macrumors newbie

I won an auction on eBay for a macbook on the cheap. Got it today and only got the laptop, no charger. This macbook has a very dead battery, and was recently replaced as it has a manufacture date of last year. It does not power on, does not have any charge, and will not be able to test it until i get my charger tomorrow/saturday. I will update this thread on my findings. I really want to max out this macbook and get it like new, and might need some help along the way. Might be a good follow, will post pictures as I make progress.

Wouldn't it be cool if I got this apparently dead laptop for dead cheap and was able to wake it up from the dead because the previous owner's charger died and was brain dead computer wise.

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Sounds like you got a good deal; I actually just replaced the battery and upgraded the RAM of my 2008 White MacBook yesterday.
    I really like how Apple products last, it's a shame how the newer Macs are less user-upgradeable so it'll be harder to make them last, but with the older MacBooks it's really cool to fix them up and make them work despite their age.

Good luck! :D

3. David5391 macrumors newbie

David5391

Similar-ish issue.

I'm on a white MacBook from 2008 and my battery has worn down to the point where it only works for about 4 to 5 minutes before the computer dies. I know the charger is not at fault since I last replaced it less than 6 months ago. Any recommendations as to what to to? is there some way I don't have to just buy a new battery?

Thanks in advance :)

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Buy a new first party battery.

5. David5391 macrumors newbie

David5391

Thanks for the input. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

6. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I purchased a macbook for around $40 actually less even with shipping and I turned it on and it had the question mark folder then I threw in a hard drive and it worked all the way!The listing said dead macbook but the screen is good and I really needed it so I bought it and lucked out,even had 2gb of new samsung ram.