Attempting to repair my 2009 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JayT007, Feb 17, 2014.

1. JayT007, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

JayT007 macrumors newbie

My 2009 Macbook Air won't boot and I want to attempt to bring it back to life. It would get stuck on the grey screen without the apple logo. I've since gotten a 2012 Macbook Pro so it's been a while since I've used the Air and can't quite remember what version of OS X I have on it, but believe it has Lion.

I've tried resetting SMC/PRAM, but it doesn't get me anywhere. I've tried booting into safe mode but I could hold down shift for a while and never see any signs that it's making any progress. I tried holding 'option' to get to the startup manager and 'command-R' for system recovery but both prove fruitless.

I recently just tried powering it up and leaving it while I went out for the day and came back to the flashing folder with a question mark telling me it can't locate startup files.

I still have the install disk for 10.6, but since my new Macbook doesn't have the 'Remote Install' software, I can't try booting form the install disk (the Air can't even get to the startup manager anyways).

My next step would be to just replace the HD but want to make sure its dead first.

Thanks

EDIT: Created a bootable USB from the 10.6 Install disk. Holding down 'C' during startup doesn't seem to initiate startup

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try using this app on your 2012 with a 1GB+ USB key to make a recovery key. Then see if you can option key boot to it on the 2009.

It does sound like the drive in the 2009 is bad though.

3. JayT007, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

JayT007 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went ahead and got a new SSD drive. Now I'm having an issue installing Mac OS X. My computer does boot off the bootable USB I created, but when it starts to install Mac OS X it comes up with the error:

"There was a problem reading the Mac OS X installation disc.

Carefully clean the disc, and then try reinstalling."

It does it consistently and I'm not sure why.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Disregard. I recreated the bootable USB and it works fine.

4. JayT007 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the air worked fine with the new hard drive for a bit, before it went back to it's old ways of black screening.

I got a replacement on the drive since I still had a warranty, but nothing changed. I'm guessing now something is just up with the logic board (which probably isn't worth fixing) ?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

:eek: yeah.... I don't think you would want to sink that kind of money into a 2009. Too bad this did not work out for you.