Attempting to restore from External HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by barnes, Sep 3, 2009.

1. barnes macrumors newbie

So my fathers iMac was going downhill. It wouldn't start up, but I was able to get it up doing a disk repair. Knowing that wouldn't last, I did a full system restore using the Western Digital Button Manager software that was on his machine.

Now the HDD is offically dead, and was replaced by Apple Care. When I got the machine back, they had kindly upgraded the machine to Leopard...but now their restore software is pretty much useless to restore to a Leopard install.

Is there a way to restore Western Digital's back up methods with out their software? (Namely iPhoto. I can manually move most of the documents and such, but what about the iPhoto library?)

If not, should I downgrade, then restore...and then upgrade again? (Snow Leopard is waiting for it.)

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to restore this, get him hooked up with Time Machine, and be done with it!

2. celticpride678

To answer part of your question, your iPhoto library should be located in Pictures>iPhoto Library. Then, just copy that over and it should all be there.