Attend WWDC if under 18?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jackhdev, May 30, 2011.

1. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm a HUGE Apple fan and really want to attend WWDC in 2012. I know that you have to be 18 to attend, and I will still not be that age next year. Do you think Apple will make an exception, such as if a parent walks you to the door, talks to them, if you are serious and have several apps on the store, etc? Any thoughts are appreciated, as I don't think there is a right or wrong answer until I get a response from Apple. Thanks!

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

might like to point out to you WWDC is not a good place to go if you are just an Apple fan. It is a dev thing and apple fans just take way from devs who would take much more out of it.

It is kind of a apple developer meca so to speak. If you are not a developer most of it would be over your head.

4. lostngone, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

age limit

The reason you have to be 18 is you can not legally be bound to an NDA if you are not an adult. Apple has been asked this question before and they even say they are sorry about it but for legal reasons you need to be 18.

However,
    In the past the only two places I ever needed my ID was when I picked up my conference badge and at the Bash. So... as long as you "look" 18 or over and your parents pick up a badge you should fine. However if they do ID check you for some reason they will kick you out and take your conference badge and you will be out the $1,600.

Like Rodimus Prime said be aware that WWDC is a Dev event and if you are anywhere from age 12 to 60 if you are not writing code it can be a really boring event(and expensive). Now if you are already writing code by all means sneak in next year.

5. jackhdev thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks everyone. Btw, yes, I am a developer. I was thinking, perhaps they would let me in if they knew that I've made and published several apps instead of just thinking I was some strange kid? Ok, one last question. Since my parents have authority over me, can't they sign the NDA agreement for me? Also, do you have to sign this? Isn't the developer contract enough?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not really. You might as well wait. Also chances are a lot of the stuff will still be way over your head.
    Not knocking you at all but you just seem pretty young and I am willing to bet that in your coding you have a lot of bad practiced in it and your object orientated programming and design is not up to level that they need to be at for WWDC.
    Give a few more years (say 2 or 3rd year of college) and you might be in much better place and have some more experience under your belt. More time to understand the words used and correct practices in coding.

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You are going to have to call Apple on that one.
    I am not a lawyer but a 3rd person NDA would be very hard to enforce. Your parent would be entering into a binding agreement in your place. So if you then broke the agreement they would have to go after the parent but the parent didn't technically do anything wrong.

As far as going I would not listen to Rodimus Prime if you are at the level of compiling your own code you WILL get things out of WWDC.

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Maybe they would accept, but at the same time, you must be 18 years old to sign up for the developper program... gotta read the terms and conditions before you check the box ;)