Attention All of you with Perfect Macbook Pro's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JayKay321, Nov 20, 2008.

1. JayKay321 macrumors member

Please help a mac brother out.

I wanted to see if there was at least one person who didn't experience 9600m/Screen shot freeze problem.

Here's how to do it:

1. Go to "System Preferences" and click on "Energy Saver."

2. Near the top you will see a tab called "Higher Performance". Click to this setting. (system will require a logout if you're on "better battery life.")

3. CRUCIAL: Once you have logged back in under the the "higher performance" setting, **UNPLUG YOUR POWER CORD** and make sure you are running on the battery.

4. Now take a screenshot (doesn't matter what you actually have on the screen) by hitting: command + shift + 3

If you're experiencing the bug, your computer should freeze for about 1 minute. You will be able to move the cursor around, but you won't be able to click on anything or open any applications. Again, you MUST be on battery power. For some reason the bug does not show when using the power cord under higher performance.

I'd really appreciate anyone who tries this. I can live with a bug if it affects all systems since that means apple is much more likely to address the problem and issue a solution. What I can't live with is if it's just my system, or simply a bad batch that I was part of.

2. floats macrumors newbie

I can confirm that I experience the same issue. I didn't have to log out as I was already on high performance.

3. omegasyn macrumors regular

4. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I'm not going to go looking for problems. I guarantee that will be fixed with the next update.

I know because I have insider info! For example, steve had a lot of fiber today.

5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Here's another bug I suspect many have: while using bluetooth devices, click on "Turn Bluetooth Off" in the menu bar bluetooth selector. The menu bar freezes until you reboot that computer.

6. Nate025 macrumors regular

Don't have the bluetooth bug but I do have the snapshot issue. Running a 2.8ghz/250gb 7200rpm mbp.

7. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

meh this is just a software issue
    im pretty sure apple can fix this via software update

8. JayKay321 thread starter macrumors member

Don't be scared.

100% perfection is impossible. Besides, a fix from your main man, Steve, is all but an imminent "guarantee", so it shouldn't hurt your notions of a flawless mac for too long. Consider this exercise your Red Pill. :D

Thanks so far to everyone who has replied.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

apple updated the iphone today, now its us next :D

10. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

That doesn't apply to me. I turned Bluetooth off last night using my wireless mighty mouse, carried my MPB through to the living room and continues using it. The menu bar worked as expected without a problem.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I have a "perfect" machine, and yes, that bug is present. However, I'm pretty sure it'll be on all MBPs and may well be fixable. I also noticed that as soon as you put the power cable back in, everything works and the screenshot appears on the desktop.

Oh well, I'm hardly sending my machine back for this!

12. macluke macrumors newbie

I wrote a thread about this bug 1 week ago. But, unfortunately is not the only problem with 9600 and running on battery. Please, try to use your MBP with 9600 and battery. After 1 hour or 2, if you use continually the system, you will see the system that randomly will freeze (for example opening from the dock the folder document, or switching from mozilla to mail). Please try, and you will see.

Instead, using the 9400 (with battery or using the power cord) or 9600 (using the power cord) the system is great and there is no freeze.

13. jamestemroot macrumors member

this is a known issue, best thing is to submit a report to apple support and hopefully they'll have a fix for it ASAP :rolleyes:

14. JayKay321 thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I found out about this issue from your thread, but not many replied, so I thought I'd try and rally the mac troops.

I'm going to try and using the system on 9600 with battery power today and see what happens.

The silver lining here is that the prevalence of the issue and the fact that the bug doesn't occur with battery power implies that this is a software issue that can be remedied.

15. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I just tried it and sure enough, it happened. Locked up until I plugged in the power cord.

16. kis macrumors 65816

bluetooth is flaky on my MBP as well - bluetooth PAN doesn't work properly (this has been an issue with many Macbook Air models already), sometimes I lose bluetooth entirely, will come back after a couple of reboots etc.
    I've heard from others with the same issues :-/

I, too, have the "screen-shot freeze", btw.

peter

17. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

19. duykur macrumors regular

thanks for ruining my perfect machine man.

lol anyways i don't normally take full screen screenshots since you can select what you want from grab.

20. Catch Them macrumors regular

this even happened on my 2.2Ghz 15" MBP (Mid-2007) ... something with the graphic memor/redraw? idk, didnt really bother me.

21. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

seriously, im going to be losing a LOT of sleep from this one :(

22. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I've got a broken machine. I'm going to run right down to the apple store and demand a working machine, and when they can't provide something that fits my overly demanding expectations I'll get a free iPod out of it!!!

/sarcasm off

23. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I went to the Apple Store to pick up a repaired MacBook (white), and whilst I was there happened to show the MBP problem to a Genius.

He laughed, then went over to three store machines in succession - all of them did it. Needless to say, he has contacted his higher-ups. The guy reckons it should be fixable via a future software update, so not really enough to worry about - though they did offer to swap my machine on the spot. Obviously I declined, seeing as apart from this issue my MBP is spot on perfect.

24. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Cool, it also works when you try it from Grab.app. Screen and timed screen. Heh. Has anyone submitted a bug report about this?