iPhone XR Attention awareness features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cnev3, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM.

1. cnev3 macrumors 6502

I thought Face ID was simply for unlocking the device and for security.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was driving home with my new XR mounted on my dash using GPS, and my text notifications turned into previews when I looked at my phone. This is especially useful when doing Lyft or driving with friends or family in the car.

I think Apple should have promoted or marketed the attention awareness features more. Despite how much people may or may not use them. It should have been the X’s “killer app”.

2. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

3. simplynando macrumors regular

simplynando

When the iPhone X was first released I remember them making a big deal about how only by you looking at your screen would it show you the previews. The phone will also lower alarms/timers if it knows you are looking at the screen. It's really helpful when I wake up a few minutes before my alarm and I'm browsing on my phone so the alarm doesn't go off super loud and scaring the hell out of me.

4. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

It will also lower the volume of your notification sounds when you look at the phone. So if you get a phone call, it will ring at normal volume, but only until it sees that you're looking at the screen. Then it lowers the volume since it already has your attention.

5. simplynando macrumors regular

simplynando

They're really subtle features that just seem so polite. Lol.

6. cnev3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they were known for people who purchased the X, and maybe Apple discussed them for the keynote for the X, but I don’t recall hearing about it in the later keynote for the XR/XS. People I showed it to, none of them knew about it either. And it wasnt mentioned in all the top video reviews I watched for it.

All the people complaining about shortcomings of Face ID, who have older iPhones and arent ready to upgrade, I think most of them don’t know about the features either.

I’m a techie, and if that information didn’t get to me before I actually bought one, then I think the marketing could be better.

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I also really like that when you are looking at the screen reading something without touching it, it will not dim or go off. That is another useful attention awareness feature.

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Gotta justify that Canadian subsidiary

9. 1rottenapple, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 6:59 AM

1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Yah that’s a great feature. It’s also great when the alarm rings. It won’t sound full blast; it is aware you are looking at the screen.