Attention Canadians: New Canadian DMCA to be introduced

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Surely, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

Hi all. I didn't see any threads about this topic, so I thought I would try to inform people out there about this serious potential problem.

If you can believe it, it looks like the bill that is being proposed by Industry Minister Jim Prentice is even more restrictive than the one in the U.S. This could happen in the next couple of weeks.

If you want to learn more about this, and even do something about it, see the following links:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2431/125/ . If you scroll down past the list of '30 things you can do', you will see some of the arguments against this bill.

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/07/canadians-tomorrow-i.html . If you live in Calgary, this article may be of interest to you.

I have to point out that I'm not an avid file-sharer or anything. I listen to a lot of indie music (especially Canadian indie music, check out http://radio3.cbc.ca/), and they deserve to be paid for their work. I'm more concerned about some of the other freedoms that we Canadians may lose if this bill becomes law.

Enjoy!

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I had no idea about this, thanks for the head's up. I will read through those links in detail and educate myself on this. Thanks again....

3. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Isn't that amazing? You would think that the Canadian media would be all over this.

I guess it's not as interesting as the Mulroney/Schreiber yawn-fest. Man, now THAT, is boring. I'm falling asleep thinking about it.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Perhaps the media doesn't want to publicize it too much so that the bill will be passed without people even being aware of it... :eek: ;)

5. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Maybe. But why would the media want it passed? The bill would restrict their use of copyrighted materials.
    They aren't the CRIA.

From Geist's article: "anti-circumvention legislation trumps fair dealing, effectively eliminating crucial user rights in the digital era such as the right to use digital works without permission for research, private study, criticism, or news reporting."

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, that's true, you think it would be in their best intrests as well to see this bill challenged. What I don't like about it is that it seems like they are trying to keep a low profile on it in hopes that they can silently pass it without anyone knowing... :eek: ;)

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This is an important issue I've been following since it's inception. I'm surprised at the lack of coverage.

8. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Me too. I've looked at various mainstream news websites throughout the day, and I haven't really seen any articles about it.

This is all I've found:

Here's one that briefly talks about it, and then asks readers for questions for Prentice:
    http://www.cbc.ca/searchengine/blog/2007/11/last_chance_to_ask_the_industr.html

A Globe and Mail blog: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071127.WBcyberia20071127170629/WBStory/WBcyberia

Nothing on CBC (except for above link), CTV, Toronto Star, National Post, Globe and Mail (except for blog link above), canada.com.

I guess they'll start to cover it when it's too late?

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've heard a lot of talk about it on a CBC Podcast called "Search Engine".

It's being rushed through all hush-hush so the majority of Canadian citizens won't even know anything about it until it's too late.

10. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Yeah, I've heard Search Engine too. That's what this link is about:
    Here's one that briefly talks about it, and then asks readers for questions for Prentice:
    http://www.cbc.ca/searchengine/blog/...e_industr.html

I hope it doesn't get rushed through.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Maybe it isn't being covered by the media because it hasn't even been introduced in the House of Commons yet. Perhaps they will cover it once the details of the exact bill become public.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But in other situations, even preliminary things are rushed. Why is this different?

13. OLD ELPASO macrumors member

Who from Calgary will be going?

After the reading I've done in the last 5 minutes I may very well be in attendance with a battery of questions for Mr.Prentice.

14. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Did you end up going? Was there a good turnout? Was Prentice receptive to people's concerns?

15. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

to Quote south park... 'Blame Canada'

the harper government is the worst thing that has ever happened to this fine land. bereft of a constitutional or moral compass, they continue to sell our souls off, down the road. Economics is their religion and all else gets pushed to the side... (and here i am gnashing my teeth and spouting my 'issues' and am, in typical canadian fashion, embarrassed by my outburst). Dr. Phil, you american bastard, please help!?!??
    i wish i could be more generous towards the sensibilities of my fellow countrymen, but no. we are sinking fast.

16. GradientMac macrumors regular

GradientMac

UGH.

I guess the guy who wrote 1984 planned just a little too early.

This is just sick and wrong, what ever happened to 'free country?'

Have fun not being able to even use the things you buy for fear of COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!11!

All we need is for Oprah to say it's stupid then everything will change, seeings as how she's the new God and all.

This is when I regret our mixed economy, for the most part too much Government control is a terrible, terrible thing. We're not a communist society, but apparently that's what Harper'd like.

17. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Nice. It seems like in Iowa, Obama is just pointing at her and saying: See, see? It's Oprah! OPRAH! I brought you Oprah. Vote for me."

Did she give out free stuff while she was there?

/off topic.

18. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I'm quoting this comment from another website's forum:

lyme:
    "It has shown up on the Notice Paper http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.as...ocId=3187201&File=11

I'd suggest that people write their MP and write Mr Prentice too, or give him a call.

Ottawa office - (613) 992-4275
    Calgary office - (403) 216-7777
    Minister office - (613) 995-9001

His email address is: Prentice.J@parl.gc.ca. Once you send an email, print it out and mail it (no stamp needed!) to:

Jim Prentice
    House of Commons
    Parliament Buildings
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1A 0A6

And please, while he may be evil, please be polite and respectful."

I thought it could be helpful here too.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for posting this info - hopefully many fellow Canadians will take advantage of the opportunity to make their thoughts and feelings known about this important issue.

20. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

It looks like Canadians did!

This is quoted from http://radio3.cbc.ca/:

"It looks like the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) reform bill expected to be introduced by Industry Minister Jim Prentice sometime early this week has been delayed.

Whether or not the delay has something to do with the 50 or so concerned citizens who showed up at his Calgary constituency office on Saturday, or the 13,000-strong Facebook group opposing the bill, but for now it seems like the bill might be headed back to the drawing board, and hopefully some more direct consultation with artists and consumers.

"Fair copyright in Canada found its voice. It will be silent no more," writes Michael Geist.
    "

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Great to see! Once again, thanks for the info - I'll definitely try to stay on top of how things proceed... :cool:

22. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Speaking as an American who is fully unfamiliar with Canadian foundational law (e.g.: constitution, federal statutes, etc.)...

DMCA as a concept is a very bad thing. All it really seeks to do is a power transfer, from both the people and their government to corporate elitists who can then control and manipulate you through your government.

You folks should go to such places as EFF.org, FSF.org, GNU.org and Stallman.org. These are all great resources for opinion, histories, commentary on the various effects of types of laws, productive alternatives to what governments frequently put forth, etc. Whether or not you totally agree with some, any or all of what they say, you should at least pay attention to the relevant bits. Look at what's been happening here in the U.S.A. to see, cases-in-point, how such laws are NOT for the benefit of the people.

Bear in mind I look at this with the U.S. bias that I'm a free citizen in a country where, at least in theory, the government is formed and run ostensibly for my benefit, and at my suffrage, and not the other way around. I don't know if that's the same basic legal theory for the Canadian government; however in a truly democratic and free society, that's how it probably most ideally should be. Anyhow...

Good luck, Canada. There may be things we've done better than you, but this ain't one of 'em...

23. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Like what?:D

/I kid, I kid

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It seems the introduction of the bill has been stalled.

michaelgeist.ca