Attention Mac experts !!! Help Newbie with iMac G5 PLEASE !!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Travelbliss, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Travelbliss macrumors newbie

Hello mac experts,

I am a newbie to this forum, and I am currently on my windows laptop :( , because my iMAC G5 refuses to power up. At first, the white button would attempt to light, then the power would die. It's been a few days, but when I push the power button, absolutely NOTHING happens....

I had this problem about 2 years ago, the computer was still under warranty, and I dragged this computer (huge, 20 inch screen) in it's entirety to Apple, where they kept it for about 3 weeks. I believe at that time, there was a problem with the logic board, and the bill would have been around $830 (at least that's what the invoice said)....

Fast forward to now....I don't have ProCare, so I'm assuming it will be $$$ to take it back to Apple. Can you experts tell me if this is a common problem with the G5s and would taking it to a serivice center like CompUsa save me some bucks.....If it's only the question of a battery, is that something that I could do myself? Anyone else have a G5 that had this experience??

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions......

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I can't speak to specific issues with the iMac G5, but if you should decide to take it to a third party (other than Apple) for a repair, I'd caution you against CompUSA. I've found their technical people to be less than stellar, especially when it comes to Macs.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I would take it to the genius bar for at least some advice. If it's a faulty motherboard, then it's the replacement they put in, so usually they'll just fix it for you for free or cheap (especially if there is any kind of recall on your model). I had an ibook G3 that, over 4 years (no applecare) had the motherboard replaced three separate times. Total cost? About $8 in gas to get back and forth from the Apple store 6 times...