Attention New MacBook Pro Owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M&M, Mar 15, 2008.

1. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

I received my new MBP yesterday.
    After letting it get to room temperature (It's very cold outside -20 C since my machine spend some time in the delivery truck).

I start it up and begin my discovery of OS X Leopard.

But here's the problem that I got.

Every apps in the iLife suite was not working. As well Aperture 2.
    I've spoken to an Appel Helpdesk representative and he made me reinstall OS X but with saving my files (I don't know the correct term, newbie to OS X) and after doing so everything worked just fine, I just had to install again aperture and Final Cut Pro.

So if you get this error "that the application quit unexpectedly" just reinstall OS X. but save your files.

That's my advise for a newbie like me.

Enjoy :)

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

just a newbie and you're already giving advice!:)
    you'll go a long way in this forum!
    nice!
    congrats on your purchase

3. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

thanks

4. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

just so you know the delivery trucks are heated so your laptop was never exposed to those -20C temps

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Hey....WELCOME:D...these forums are a GREAT place to learn everything about your machine. Congrats on "seeing the light". Enjoy!

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your new purchase :) :apple:

Just for future reference, the process that the Apple technician walked you through is known as an "Archive and Install", which allows you to save your files and settings while moving the previous operating system installation to a different directory, effectively archiving it.

Some advice for anyone out there who is buying a new machine, no matter whether it's a MacBook Pro, a MacBook, an iMac, whatever -- run Software Update as soon as you get it up and running to ensure that you have the latest versions of your system software and other Apple software products, this really helps cut down on weird crashes and other oddities.

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If I reinstalled my system everytime I saw that message I would never have a computer. Just relaunch the app and everything is fine.

8. Area51Tazz macrumors member

On the archive and re-install, keep in mind that it copies your user's library folder which can be quite large...after a few weeks, I'd consider deleting the backup folder to save that space. (about 13 gigs for me)

9. Mott macrumors newbie

When I first received my MBP, I did a full clean install. So that I could start out fresh with my own handwork. I haven't had any issues with programs crashing or anything of the sort. Plus I added memory to make it 4gig total.